seg fault

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Fri Sep 22 07:26:32 EDT 2000

Hey Peter,
   So, I fixed this problem for me by hacking tcpdump to handle
a range of packet numbers.  Tcpdump supports the -c option,
and I put in a hack to track multiple '-c's on the command
line.  The lesser of the -c's is the start count and the
greatest is the end count.  That helps a bit, but having
your own personal hacks to tcpdump() is not a great solution.

   If tcpclean() removes the problem, then that sez something
right there.  We are probably confused about the packet length
and are writing over someone else's buffer.  I'll look into
cleaning up all the length variables today.  But, getting
a tcpdump file that has the problem in it is key.  A strategy
that I use a lot is to start pruning back the tcpdump file, by
using things like "not tcp".  If the resulting file has the
problem, then that may be it, as it will be a much smaller
file.  If it doesn't then creating a "tcp" file and
move on to your favorite protocol, such as "not udp".  This
will get it into a protocol class.  That in some cases is
all we need, but if we can get a capture file that has the
problem, then a solution will be on the way.

Carter