Argus-2.0 Clients

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Sun Jul 23 15:48:24 EDT 2000

> Hey Peter,
>    Running Argus against "standardized" attacks is right
> on the money for validation as well as baseline deviation
> prediction.  I thought CIDF was going to generate packet
> capture files of popular attacks, did this go away?

	It is probably still there (I remember reading about this and adding
it to the reference pile but I haven't got back there yet). If it is up I'll
steal that instead of grabbing my own exploits :-).

> OK on to specifics:
>    Argus is already doing fragment offset calculations
> and so adding some logic to report this type of problem
> shouldn't be an issue, as long as we can have a set
> number of things to look for.

	The most interesting one would be new fragements whose offset would
overlap (but not match exactly) a previously received fragment. This shouldn't
happen in normal use (even multipath  MTU fragmentation shouldn't create
overlaps I don't think, although I may be wrong in pathelogical cases). That
should make it a good indication of being a fragmentation attack and worth
looking at in detail in any case. There is a good paper on how to defeat
network IDS systems from a few years ago on this topic, I can dig up the
reference if you haven't seen it. I disagree with his conclusion that it makes
network IDS useless, but it certainly can lead to combitorial explosion while
trying to predict what any one host will see (because of ttl changes).
Outputing the complete packet of a fragement with different TTLs than its
fellows would also be an interesting thing to do (allowing an non real time
process to process the packets at different TTL points in the network forward
to see what interesting data turns up (such as an attack that depends on one
of the frags to die from ttl before getting to the host). This might turn out
to be too complex, but its worth a shoot. The very fact that such frags appear
should be a warning of a possible attack.

>    I'm not sure I follow the VJ compression analogy.
> Can you elaborate on that idea?

	Essentially if the next packet matches our forward header prediction
we don't need to keep any additional state about it because we can derive it
from the last packet's state. If it deviates from prediction then record an
exception record so that we can reproduce the exact flow of the connection
later (argus may already do this of course). This would catch the unused bits
in the header being set for instance, that would cause an exception (the first
time it happened) and then get accepted as current state for subsequent
packets.

>    I am very interested in looking into using Argus
> records to drive your traffic generators, as this was
> one of the things on the "wouldn't it be cool"
> list for pre Argus-1.5.

	The header compression analogy is essentially for that, a way to keep
detailed header changes without storing the complete headers. So that for
instance suddenly 10 packets in to a flow some of the unused header bits get
set in the packets. The header exception record would tell us to do that same
thing as we recreate the stream.