Covert Channel Detection

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jul 21 00:36:45 EDT 2000

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 17:32:44 -0400 Carter Bullard <carter at qosient.com>
wrote:

>    I think that Argus can do the best job at
> this by doing some pattern recognition in the
> user traffic.  I think for most purposes,
> being able to validate the protocol above the
> transport layer would be a good start.
>
>    Is anyone interested in this type of work?

I am.  We have already seen some interesting covert channels in the
DDoS tools (eg using ECR packets to carry commands) and we saw a
facinating demonstration at the FIRST meeting in Chicago of using SSL
to tunnel all sorts of traffic through a compromised web server and
thus circumventing a firewall.

[Aside : this was the most impressive live demo I have ever seen -- it
took several hours and they had 5 machines and a router hooked up at
the front of the meeting room. There was only one minor glich and we
paused 5 minutes early for morning tea while they figured
out what was wrong. It turned out to be finger trouble...]

There are two approaches I see to this problem:

Provide an argus client that calculate various standard stats about
different protocols that we might use to characterise them. This is
what raservices does.  The logical extention is to have a client that
loaded in a set of parameters and watched for flows that lay outside
the distributions.

The other approach, which I perfer because I like tinkering with
things, is to provide good access to the raw argus data so that we can
easily extract data that we can feed into a stats package to do more
sophisticated analysis.  The experimentalist's approach ;-)

I suspect that we will need different statistics to detect different
types of covert channels.  eg.  simple mean and std on flow sizes might
be enough in some cases, in other we may have to look at size or timing
distributions of individual packets.  (Netramet will do that for you ;-)

Unfortunately I don't have enought time to do everything that I as
supposed to do now without starting research project on things like
this.

Cheers, Russell