Covert Channel Detection

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Thu Jul 20 23:23:49 EDT 2000

	While I don't know that I've seen a real example of this, I have a
couple of references to papers and code that implements covert channels which
will be undoubtably valuable at test time:

http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue2_5/rowland/
http://www.detached.net/   (mailtunnel and icmptunnel, there used to be an
	http tunnel too but it appears to be gone).

	I'd say that probably Back Orifice and clones are more dangerous because
they will work on the average, unsecured (and unsecurable) Win desktop and
will defeat even VPN access (by being before the encryption starts). The
encryption in BO2K can make it difficult to detect in a data stream as well,
but that would be a worthwhile detector to work on (although the problem will
typically be on the user's net not yours). An argus on a 486 box (or even a
386 box) on the users net sourced from your net would be one way around this.
	I' currently a little (or a lot :-) ) distracted doing up a presentation
on installing FreeBSD and argus for the local security group in a couple of
weeks. Hopefully I'll get through it soon and can devote some more cycles to
this discussion (although cleaning it up after the alpha test and releasing
the instuctions to the world are a priority too). I'm also whacking out a new
perl script to give me a better handle on napster/gnuella etc. which are
currently being a big headache (and a huge bandwith eater, 13 gigs in 24 hours
by a single machine although that one leaped out at me). Traffic volume and
traffic diversity (i.e. connections in and out to lots of different places)
are both good intrusion detectors. Its hard to usefully exploit a broken
machine without leaving a reasonably obvious (at least to a human) trail. The
trick is going to be to get software that can recognize the pattern although
I think a secure web site that will display the argus data for their machines
for administrators would be a good bet too. So many projects so little time
(and so many nagging operational fires eating play time!)