Argus-2.0 Clients

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jul 18 18:11:40 EDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 08:16:27 -0400 Carter Bullard <carter at qosient.com>
wrote:

> Gentle People,
>    Its now time to discuss the supported clients that we
> want to provide in Argus-2.0.  The current list of clients
> is not "well thought out" in that we have a collection of
> examples, rather than a concise set of tools that really
> solve problems.  It has been this way a little on purpose,
> as Argus has always been a proof of concept project, rather
> than a solutions style project.  By enumerating the "wish
> list" of clients, I believe we can finish the basic
> design of the Argus-2.0 server.

Most of the things I do with argus are somewhat esoteric and the
subject of ongoing developement or, in some cases, one off jobs.  I
find perl the best language for this and thus my interest is mainly in
how can I extract data from argus logs quickly (both in terms of cpu
and human efficiency).  With argus 1.x I open a pipe to ra in my perl
scripts and this works reasonably well.  So far the only thing I have
needed that is not available from the default ra displays is access to
*all* the state info for tcp session.  To get this I ended up patching
ra :-(

I hate having local patches because of the support problem and it means
that anyone who uses my scripts also need my patches. (Hi Neil :)  This
is the main reason I have not submitted my scan detection script to the
contrib collection (the other reason is that it could do with some more
tidying up ;) .

So what I want is a client that will allow me to get access to *all*
the data in the argus records without incurring the difficulties of
parsing output from fullra.  I guess this is what I was really getting
at with my proposal for formatting strings for ra output.  I need a
general tool for efficently extracting and formatting arbitary
combinations of data from argus records.

The alternative would be to have an api for perl but a generalised
access tool is necessary because someone else will want to process
records in Visual Basic ;-)

The other client that I use on a regular basis is raconnections to help
reduce size of files for archive purposes.

Cheers, Russell.