Argus 2.0 Record Changes

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Jul 11 12:00:58 EDT 2000

Hey Peter!
   There are several ways to tackle the link utilization value
that you are looking for, but I'm not sure exactly if I know
what your fishing for, so lets try some possibilities.

   If your looking for just relative per flow link utilization.
One way that you would do it, with any version of Argus, is
to configure it to generate management records, which report
total packets and bytes on the interface, at an interval that
suits your needs, say every 60 seconds, or less.  This would
give you the basic link utilization trend, and then you could
compare the per flow utilization that can be derived from
the actual flow records to decide whose the biggest, baddest
flow during the interval.

   If it is, "what percentage of the link utilization
was contributed by this flow", well now there is a stat
we could put into each flow record.  I would do it by noting
the total interface packets and bytes at the start of the
flow report, and the total interface packets and bytes at
the end of the flow report, and dividing the difference
into the totals for the flow.

   Is this last stat what your interested in?

Carter