Argus 2.0 features

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Wed Jul 5 17:49:45 EDT 2000

> Wow, thanks Peter!  I did not expect to get such a clear cut answer.
> I'll save my money (or buy a bigger disk ;-)

	Yes, the 40 gig UDMA 66 IDE I bought for a bit more than $500 a few
months ago is now down to around $350, its almost full of argus logs. Time
to buy another one.
	As well the original machine (admittably a Supermicro server class
machine) was > $6K, the replacement rackmount Intel was under $2K for a faster
machine (but a couple of years later).

> > > Is there anyway I can trade memory for disk reading performance on
> > > these OSes.
> >
> > 	Run a filesystem in memory/swap (I do that with /tmp) but it is
> > volitile on a boot.
> >

> I was aware of that possibility, I was thinking along the lines of
> clever read  ahead caches or smart disk controllers -- I have seen some
> theoretical work on things like this ages ago and was wondering if
> there was anything available for your common or garden OSes.

	There is FreeBSD support for various of the raid controller, I don't
know what the would do for performace (in theory good things if the access
pattern is correct) but I haven't used any of them.