Argus 2.0 features

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jul 5 17:11:58 EDT 2000

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000 08:48:28 -0700 (PDT) Peter Van Epp <vanepp at sfu.ca>
wrote:

> 	The UDMA33 IDE looks to be faster (and a lot cheaper) than the SCSI.
> I appear to be able to fill the wire from disk with UDMA 33 IDE and tcpreplay
> as well.

Wow, thanks Peter!  I did not expect to get such a clear cut answer.
I'll save my money (or buy a bigger disk ;-)

> > Is there anyway I can trade memory for disk reading performance on
> > these OSes.
>
> 	Run a filesystem in memory/swap (I do that with /tmp) but it is
> volitile on a boot.

I was aware of that possibility, I was thinking along the lines of
clever read  ahead caches or smart disk controllers -- I have seen some
theoretical work on things like this ages ago and was wondering if
there was anything available for your common or garden OSes.

Russell.