pid file

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Tue Dec 19 15:18:12 EST 2000

Gentle people,
   So I've put pid file support into "J", which should be on the
server late this afternoon.  There are a number of issues with
this support, so I would love some comments.

   Right now, we don't have any problems supporting multiple
argi running on the same interface at the same time.  With
this scenario, a pid file is an odd thing, since we need
multiple pid files to track all the copies of argus.
(we could put multiple pids in the same file, but that would
generate a huge pile of problems when to manage the file, so
this would not be a good idea).

   So, right now, the pid file is acting a little like a
lock, because we stop processing if we can't get the only
pid file in the directory.  Is this reasonable?  I'm thinking
not, but,....

   With Linux, we have the /var/run directory to put our pid
file in.  If this directory doesn't exist, we try to put the
pid file into $ARGUSHOME/progname.pid or $HOME/progname.pid
(where progname is the basename of the argus() program).
I'm not sure how I would deal with multiple argi, all on
different interfaces.

Any ideas as to how other OS's want to deal with pid files?

QoSient, LLC
300 E. 56th Street, Suite 18K
New York, New York  10022

carter at qosient.com