latest watcher script <fwd>

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Aug 6 19:43:34 EDT 2000

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 22:05:24 -0400 Carter Bullard <carter at qosient.com>
wrote:

> Hey Russell,
>    The '*' means that the port value is zero.  We use
> zero when we merge Argus records together, so for ra()
> a zero in a port field could represent a real zero or
> a condition where it was several numbers merged together.
> So we report a meta-character rather than the value.

Hmmm.. I'm a bit confused as to why argus would merge udp records with
different port numbers.  Given that argus does merge records then
surely it would be more sensible to have 0 represent a real zero and
use '*' to represent merged records.

Are there argus options that affect the merging of records?  (this
would explain why I don't see these records here).

Cheers, Russell.