Memory Problems in Argus-1.8

Neil Long neil.long at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Apr 6 04:11:24 EDT 2000

On Apr 5,  2:26pm, Peter Van Epp wrote:
> Subject: Re: Memory Problems in Argus-1.8

> 	Although my scripts are HUPing and restarting it every morning and
> I'm currently at 4.1megs virtual 3.7 megs rss on FreeBSD, I did before christmas
> accidentally run one for 22 days or so and don't remember a large memory
> increase. That of course was one of the 1.8 betas not the release version.
> I'll start one on a test machine and leave it and see what happens. What
> operating system is the apparant leak being reported on?

> Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B.C. Canada
>-- End of excerpt from Peter Van Epp

Sun Ultra 10, Solaris 7, hme interface.

It usually starts up at just over 3M and grows to about 5M

  403 root       1  24    0 5392K 4824K run    37:27  2.73% argus

started yesterday (05/04) at 16:12 GMT

I am going to try and log it daily and see if it is gradual or a step
up - maybe there is a tie in with something else. This may be a Solaris
issue - Suns are good value here and on-site response is excellent for
the rare times they go bump in the night.

The problem I raised with Carter is that when argus is used remotely
there is a problem with stop/start scripting since the port cannot
be re-bound until the connection fully times-out. Again this may be
a Solaris issue.

I will look in to changing the scripts to kill remote ra connects first
and then argus but my 'web of trust' prevents that at present for any
automated task originating on one host - I hate multiple cron jobs.

Neil

 Dr Neil J Long, Computing Services, University of Oxford
 13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK Tel:+44 1865 273232 Fax:+44 1865 273275
 EMail:       Neil.Long at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
 PGP:    ID 0xE88EF71F    OxCERT: oxcert at ox.ac.uk PGP: ID 0x4B11561D