compiling argus on a BSDI box?

Alexander Bochmann bochmann at infra.de
Thu Sep 23 14:28:00 EDT 1999

Hi,

has anyone tried to compile argus (-1.8) on a machine running BSDI 3?

I have managed to compile at least the clients (the BSDI box here
has the most diskspace and all the old argus data files are stored there),
and I have encountered some minor problems (sorry, no diff's, because
actually I have no clue about C programming and I should be preparing for
my diploma right now instead of fiddling with software ;-) - but I have
a short description...

include/cons_out.h:
It seems there is no struct ether_addr in netinet/if_ether.h on BSDI 3
I just added the following to cons_out.h:

#if defined(bsdi)
struct  ether_addr {
        u_char  ether_addr_octet[6];
};
#endif

(found in some include file on an OpenBSD machine :) ...)

common/argus_parse.c:
should probably use mktime instead of timelocal on BSDI (just added an
-Dtimelocal=mktime to the DEFS in the Makefiles for now).

common/addrtoname.c:
uses ether_ntohost several times, which does not seem to exist on BSDI,
so I just added something like an && !defined(bsdi) to the existing #if's
surrounding these.

At least ra and raservices seem to work fine (didn't try much else yet)...

Alex.