another ra oddity...

Carter Bullard cbullard at nortelnetworks.com
Thu Oct 7 10:07:26 EDT 1999

Hey Russell,
   So I now rarely use the 'dst' or 'src' indications,
since this has caused me to miss some unexpected network
events.  Especially since many firewalls are misconfigured,
allowing incoming TCP connections with a source port of 23
to get in.  Filters like:

    ((src address local && dst port 23) ||
            (dst address local and src port 23))

or

  !((dst address local and dst port 23) ||
            (src address local $ src port 23))

appear to work for the most part, but, as we know, are
not good at all.  People tend to generate this type of
filter when they are trying to quickly fix a connectivity
problem and they've only got filter expressions in routers
to work with.

   And many an intrusion detector builder forget to go after
the most common and simple human filter errors, as they are
wrapped up in the complexity of solving the hard problems,
forgetting about the simple ones.  I would put reverse port use
way up front on any intrusion detection module.

   This makes using raconnections() important.
If I'm looking for telnets in a whole days worth of logs, I would
run raconnections() with a filter of "tcp and port 23" on all the
files and then spit that output to whatever analyzer I've got.
Be conscience to put the files in time order on the command line.
Not critical, but can be important.

Carter