Ethernet splitters

Chas DiFatta chas at bwana.net
Tue Jun 29 18:31:59 EDT 1999

If you use a Cisco switch and you wish to monitor the link that supplies all
the traffic (like to/from a router) just set up a spanning port to send
all tx/rv traffic from the router port to another port where your Argus host
resides.  We usually use a separate interface for monitoring on the Argus
host, IP addr 0.0.0.0 to keep in stealth mode.  Other switches may work,
but we're not familiar with them.  We've been able to monitor at a sustained
load of 30 Mb/s for hours with this configuration and Argus 1.8.

If you don't have a Cisco, use a 10 or 100baseT hub just in front the
router.
Since your only using two ports, i.e. router and switch, monitoring the
traffic
on a 3rd port does the trick without any degradation in traffic due to
collisions.

	...cd

http://www.shomiti.com

I dont work for them, I just use their stuff.

Blue