[MyAppleMenu] Sep 1, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Sep 1 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Vulnerability In Find My Phone Service And Weak Passwords May Explain Alleged Celebrity Photo Leaks ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/01/vulnerability-in-find-my-phone-service-and-weak-passwords-may-explain-alleged-celebrity-photo-leaks/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

> Apple patched the service at 3.20am PT today. While it’s possible that the timing was coincidental, an iCloud exploit being posted online just two days before the photos appeared, and being patched shortly after the story broke, makes this seem unlikely.

*** Automate Your Mac: Four Smart Hacks For Managing Files ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2599999/automate-your-mac-four-smart-hacks-for-managing-files.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Matt Gemmell, Joe Kissell, and Brett Terpstra, Macworld

> Managing files and folders is one of the most obvious—and easiest—chores to automate on your Mac, thanks to specialized tools like Hazel, as well as generalists like AppleScript, Automator, and Keyboard Maestro.

*** The Best Apps For Taking Notes ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2599838/the-best-apps-for-taking-notes.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Joel Mathis, TechHive

> I had three criteria for judging these note-taking apps: They had to be versatile. They had to help me get organized, easily and intuitively. And they had to be accessible—a note that will live on my iPhone and my iPhone only is not a note that’s ultimately useful to me: I might take the notes on a mobile device, but I might write a paper or a story on a laptop or desktop— so I want quick, easy access to the notes in both locations.

*** My Year With A Distraction-free iPhone (And How To Start Your Own Experiment) ***
<https://medium.com/@jakek/my-year-with-a-distraction-free-iphone-and-how-to-start-your-own-experiment-6ff74a0e7a50>
Jake Knapp, Medium

> When we invest our time and energy in technology — as creators or consumers — we should invest in products that belong in “The Future” and not those that make our lives disappear faster than they already do.

*** Autodesk’s Pixlr Goes For Mobile Experience With New OS X And Windows Image Editing Apps ***
<http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/08/31/autodesks-pixlr-taps-mobile-experience-with-new-os-x-and-windows-apps/>
Daniel Bader, Mobilesyrup.com

*** This Is What Happens When Apple Launches An iPhone ***
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/60968903/this-is-what-happens-when-apple-launches-an-iphone>
Stephen Hutcheon, Stuff.co.nz

> Apple has issued an invitation to a media event next month. This is what happens next.

*** Countless Celebrity Nude Photo Leaks Being Blamed On Supposed iCloud Hack ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/31/countless-celebrity-nude-photo-leaks-being-blamed-on-supposed-icloud-hack/>
Stephen Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Veteran Tech Journalist Anand Shimpi Headed To Apple ***
<http://recode.net/2014/08/31/veteran-tech-journalist-anand-shimpi-headed-to-apple/>
John Paczkowski, Re/code

> An Apple rep confirmed that the company was hiring Shimpi, but wouldn’t provide any other details.

*** How Britain Is Committing Crimes Against International Cuisine ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/sep/01/britain-crimes-against-foreign-food>
Trevor Baker, The Guardian

> From lasagne sandwiches to chicken tikka-flavoured Blackpool rock, Britons' eagerness to embrace 'foreign food' has resulted in some atrocities that other nations find hard to stomach.

*** The Establishment: And How They Get Away With It Review – Owen Jones's Biting Critique Of The Elite ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/01/the-establishment-how-get-away-with-it-review-owen-jones>
John Kampfner, The Guardian

> A passionate account of injustice reveals the lies peddled by our leaders.

*** When Did We Get So Old? ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/31/sunday-review/the-boomers-biggest-challenge.html?_r=0>
Michele Willens, New York Times