[MyAppleMenu] Oct 31, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 31 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** iTunes 12 Brings More Power To The Column Browser ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/itunes-12-brings-more-power-to-the-column-browser/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

*** Ellen DeGeneres Launches Ellentube App For Watching And Sharing Family-friendly Videos ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/ellen-degeneres-launches-ellentube-app-for-watching-and-sharing-family-friendly-videos>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** How One Man’s Private Files Ended Up On Apple’s iCloud Without His consent ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/10/30/how-one-mans-private-files-ended-up-on-apples-icloud-without-his-consent/?tid=HP_technology?tid=HP_technology>
Craig Timberg, Washington Post

> The gist is that files created on several widely used apps are saved to iCloud as soon as the files are created. When a user later gives the file a name and selects a location to store it, the document is “removed” from iCloud (unless, of course, the user intentionally saves the file to iCloud.) Users can also disable iCloud altogether, keeping files confined to their devices.

*** Cops Can Make You Unlock Your Smartphone With Fingerprint, Says Judge ***
<http://mashable.com/2014/10/30/cops-can-force-you-to-unlock-phone-with-fingerprint-ruling/#:eyJzIjoidCIsImkiOiJfMDhlcHZ0N3llaDFpbzBobjBrb2xtdF8ifQ>
Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai, Mashable

> Cops can force you to unlock your smartphone with your fingerprint — but they can't force you to unlock it with your passcode, according to a judge in Virginia.
> The decision, one of the first ones to deal with fingerprints and cellphones, confirms the fact that law enforcement agents can get access to a locked phone with legal means if they need to. At the same time a PIN or a password might enjoy more protection than a fingerprint.

*** Apple CEO Says He’s ‘Proud To Be Gay’ ***
<http://m.wsj.com/articles/apple-ceo-cook-says-hes-proud-to-be-gay-1414715814?mobile=y>
Rachel Feintzeig and Daisuke Wakabayashi, Wall Street Journal

> “If Tim Cook can be openly gay, then it just shouldn’t matter in any other corporation in America,” said Trevor Burgess, the openly gay CEO of the Florida bank C1 Financial Inc., which went public in August.

*** Resize And Upload Images With Acorn And Transmit ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/10/resize-and-upload-images-with-acorn-and-transmit/>
Jason Snell, Six Colors

*** Apple No Longer Rejecting Calculator Widgets From The App Store ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/30/apple-no-longer-rejecting-calculator-widgets-from-the-app-store/>
Sarah Perez, TechCrunch

> But now we’re hearing that Apple is changing its course. The PCalc app and widget will remain in the App Store, and all calculator-type widgets will be allowed as well, an Apple spokesperson has confirmed to us.

*** Todoist Now Connects Your Task List To Everything With IFTTT ***
<http://www.imore.com/todoist-now-connects-your-task-list-everything-ifttt?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Simon Sage, iMore

*** President Bill Clinton, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella & Others Praise Apple CEO Tim Cook For Publicly Announcing He Is Gay ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/10/30/president-bill-clinton-microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-others-praise-apple-ceo-tim-cook-for-publicly-announcing-he-is-gay?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

> Former U.S. Representative Barney Frank also spoke out in an interview with CNBC, in which he said Cook's announcement is "extraordinarily important."
> Frank said that Cook's stature as being one of the most important business leaders in America will go a long way in breaking down stereotypes about people of different sexual orientations.

*** How Apple Pay Handles A Canceled Credit Card ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/10/30/how-apple-pay-handles-a-canceled-credit-card/>
John-Michael Bond, TUAW

> "Immediately upon hanging up, my phone had a notification saying "Apple Pay: your default card has been switched to [non-stolen Citi credit card]." Pretty smooth, and really good attention to detail in the EMVco and/or Apple Pay design."

*** Smule’s Popular Sing! Karaoke App Updated With Collaborative Video Features ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/30/smule-sing-karaoke-video/>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

*** The Any.do iPhone App Gets Updated With New Features And Premium Subscription ***
<http://www.imore.com/anydo-app-gets-updated-new-features-and-premium-subscription?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
John Callaham, iMore

*** Why We Quoth ‘The Raven’ evermore ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/10/30/why-we-quoth-the-raven-evermore/>
Ron Charles, Washington Post

> What is it about Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Raven” that’s kept this creepy poem flying high for almost 170 years? Since its publication in 1845, it’s been continually read, anthologized, performed, filmed, illustrated and, of course, parodied (Doh!). In fact, those parodies hatched even before the ink on the original poem was dry.

*** Notes On The Death Of The American Network Sitcom ***
<http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/sitcom-tv-comedy-abc-cbs-nbc-fox/?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Andy Greenwald, Grantland