[MyAppleMenu] Oct 30, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 30 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Tim Cook Speaks Up ***
<http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-30/tim-cook-im-proud-to-be-gay>
Tim Cook, Bloomberg Businessweek

> Being gay has given me a deeper understanding of what it means to be in the minority and provided a window into the challenges that people in other minority groups deal with every day. It’s made me more empathetic, which has led to a richer life. It’s been tough and uncomfortable at times, but it has given me the confidence to be myself, to follow my own path, and to rise above adversity and bigotry. It’s also given me the skin of a rhinoceros, which comes in handy when you’re the CEO of Apple.
> [...]
> I don’t consider myself an activist, but I realize how much I’ve benefited from the sacrifice of others. So if hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it’s worth the trade-off with my own privacy.

*** It's Easier To Get An iPhone Outside Hong Kong's Apple Stores Than In Them ***
<http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/29/world/asia/hong-kongs-iphone-flipping-industry/>
Euan McKirdy, CNN

> Those left in the cold are the Hong Kong citizens who want to get their hands on a new phone the legitimate way. With the quota system swamped each day from 8 am sharp, it might be a long wait for that new 6 Plus.

*** iPhone And Android Fans Are Raiding Reviews Of The CurrentC Payments App ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/29/7089829/iphone-android-currentc-reviews>
Colin Lecher, The Verge

*** Review: OmniFocus 2 For iPad Makes Life Easier With Extensions And Background Syncing ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2841060/review-omnifocus-2-for-ipad-makes-life-easier-with-extensions-and-background-syncing.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Ray Agullera, Macworld

> If you need more power for sub-tasks, contexts, and weekly reviews than your typical to-do list provides, you can't go wrong with OmniFocus.

*** Take The Pain Out Of Two-factor Authentication With An App ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2840979/take-the-pain-out-of-two-factor-authentication-with-an-app.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

*** Skype 7.1 For Mac Features Support For OS X Yosemite And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/skype-7-1-for-mac-features-support-for-os-x-yosemite-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Flipboard Launches Version 3.0: Smarter Recommendations Plus A Curated Daily Newsmagazine ***
<https://gigaom.com/2014/10/29/flipboard-launches-version-3-0-smarter-recommendations-plus-a-curated-daily-newsmagazine/>
Mathew Ingram, GigaOM

> The new version involves better curation of the millions of customized magazines that readers have created — using recommendation technology acquired when it bought Zite earlier this year — as well as a daily newspaper-style magazine called The Daily Edition that is edited by Flipboard staff.

*** Microsoft Takes Another Stab At Health Market With Cloud Service, $199 Fitness Band ***
<http://recode.net/2014/10/29/microsoft-takes-another-stab-at-health-market-with-cloud-service-199-fitness-band/>
Ina Fried, Re/code

> The band has 10 sensors to track the usual things like heart rate, as well as more novel detectors, including a UV sensor for sun exposure and a galvanic skin response measurement, which can help identify stress. The Microsoft Health cloud-based service can crunch the data gathered from Microsoft’s band as well as from other devices, including rival smartphones and fitness bands. A companion app for iOS, Android and Windows Phone offers a deeper look at the data.

*** Beats By Dre Debuts Special Edition Hello Kitty Headphones For 40Th Anniversary ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/29/hello-kitty-beats-by-dre/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> Apple's Beats by Dre headphones brand is teaming up with Sanrio to offer two special edition Hello Kitty-themed products to commemorate Hello Kitty's 40th anniversary.

*** How To Hide Photos On iPhone & iPad With The iOS Hidden Album ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/29/how-hide-photos-iphone-ios/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+osxdaily+%28OS+X+Daily%29>
OS X Daily

*** A Week Of Apple Pay: Chips, PINs, And… Signatures? ***
<http://sixcolors.com/post/2014/10/the-signature-never-dies/>
Glenn Fleishman, Six Colors

*** What’s New With Automation In Yosemite ***
<http://www.automatedworkflows.com/2014/10/28/whats-new-with-automation-in-yosemite/>
Ray Robertson, Automated Workflows

> Apple introduced a great variety of new automation features and updates in Yosemite. I've written up a quick summary below with links to more detailed information.

*** A Week With Apple Pay ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/a-week-with-apple-pay/>
Mgean Geuss, Ars Technica

*** Apple Disallows Previously Approved Calculator Widgets For iOS 8 Notification Center ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/29/apple-nixes-calculator-widgets/>
Juli Clover, MacRumors

> Apple is forcing popular iOS calculator app <i>PCalc</i> to remove its Notification Center widget, which allows users to access calculator functions directly from the "Today" view of the Notification Center. According to Apple, widgets on iOS are not allowed to perform any calculations.

*** The Exacting, Expansive Mind Of Christopher Nolan ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/magazine/the-exacting-expansive-mind-of-christopher-nolan.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Gideon Lewis-Kraus, New York Times

> Nolan is a gestalt thinker and entertainer, and he thinks that it’s technical details like these, even the ones we register only unconsciously, that make the theatrical experience a vivid and continuous dream.

*** Review: ‘Yes Please,’ By Amy Poehler ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/review-yes-please-by-amy-poehler/2014/10/29/41839650-5b90-11e4-8264-deed989ae9a2_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Rachel Dry, Washington Post

> Writing a book is hard, and that seems to be the truth. At least she wrung some laughts out of it.

*** Amnesia By Peter Carey Review – Turbo-charged, Hyperenergetic ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/30/amnesia-peter-carey-review-turbo-charged>
Andrew Motion, The Guardian