[MyAppleMenu] Oct 9, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 9 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** Zynga Reboots Words With Friends For iPhone And iPad With More Features ***
<http://www.imore.com/zynga-reboots-words-friends-more-features?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
John Callaham, iMore

*** Apple To Require App-specific Passwords For iCloud Starting Tomorrow, Oct. 9 ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/apple-to-require-app-specific-passwords-for-icloud-starting-tomorrow-oct-9>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> “This is a reminder that starting tomorrow, app-specific passwords will be required to access your iCloud data using third party apps such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or other mail, contacts, and calendar apps,” Apple says in the notice. “If you are currently signed in to a third party app using your primary Apple ID password, you will be signed out automatically when this change takes effect.”

*** Gender Gap Draws Thousands From Google, Apple To Phoenix ***
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-08/gender-gap-draws-thousands-from-google-apple-to-phoenix.html>
Peter Burrows, Bloomberg

> The conference, now in its 20th year, is drawing more attention than ever as Silicon Valley faces pressure over its gender gap and recognizes it needs to tap the technical talent in a demographic that makes up 47 percent of the U.S. workforce.

*** An Optical Trick Makes Disappearing Messages Harder To Screenshot ***
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/531521/an-optical-trick-makes-disappearing-messages-harder-to-screenshot/>
Rachel Metz, Technology Review

> This fence moves across the image so quickly that it looks to you as if you’re seeing the full image, Richardson says, yet if someone takes a screen shot of a D-fenced image, or takes a photo of it with another camera, they’ll get an image with slats obscuring much of its content.

*** Apple Sends Out Invites For Oct. 16 Special Event ***
<http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/10/08/apple-sends-out-invites-for-oct-16-special-event/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

> As is normal with Apple invites, there are no clues as to what the company will talk about or introduce at the event. Given the huge event in September where the company unveiled new iPhones and the Apple Watch, I suspect this event will focus more on existing products.

*** GT Advanced Bankruptcy Offers Warning To Apple Suppliers ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/08/us-apple-gt-advanced-tech-idUSKCN0HX0XV20141008>
Noel Randewich and Reiji Murai, Reuters

> Analysts and industry insiders cited terms of GT Advanced's deal with Apple that involved building an Arizona factory to make scratch-resistant sapphire glass exclusively for Apple, but which the Cupertino-based company was under no obligation to buy.

*** Apple Says Surprised By GT's Bankruptcy Filing ***
<http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/10/08/uk-apple-gt-advanced-idUKKCN0HX1OQ20141008>
Noel Randewich, Reuters

> "We are focused on preserving jobs in Arizona following GT's surprising decision and we will continue to work with state and local officials as we consider our next steps," spokesman Chris Gaither said.

*** Note To Self: It’s The Storage Space, Stupid ***
<http://daringfireball.net/2014/10/ios_8_storage_space>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> The simple answer was staring me right in the face. It’s all about the over-the-air update requiring 5 GB of free storage space, and many people not having that much free space, and not knowing how or simply not wanting to deal with it.

*** What You Need To Know About Activation Lock ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15131?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> The point of these features is to discourage theft, since once Activation Lock has been enabled, a stolen iPhone is worthless to a thief. Or at least it is as long as potential buyers know to check if Activation Lock has been turned on.

*** Clips For iOS ***
<http://macsparky.com/blog/2014/10/clips-for-ios>
David Sparks, MacSparky

> Using Clips you can collect bits of saved text and links into the Clips application. Then you can use, modify, and paste those clips easily in other applications using the Clips Today View widget or its custom keyboard. The clippings can be used repeatedly without having to go back and recopy them. It’s not as seamless as a clipboard manager on Mac OS, but it is pretty close and exponentially better than anything we’ve had before on iOS.

*** Pocket Updated To Support The iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus ***
<http://www.imore.com/pocket-updated-support-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Sam Sabri, iMore

*** Hands On With The New iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Video Features ***
<http://www.imore.com/hands-new-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-video-features>
Serenity Caldwell, iMore

> The new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have a bevy of new videography features for those who enjoy shooting those fancy "moving pictures" on their mobile devices. I've been putting my iPhone 6 through its paces, and here's an overview of what you have to look forward to—in video form, naturally.

*** How To Use iMessage: The Ultimate Guide ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-to-use-imessage?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> Not only does iMessage let you send free simple messaging service (SMS)-style and multimedia messaging service (MMS)-style messages, but also create and manage group messages, share location instantly, temporarily, or persistently, and more. Here's everything you need to know about iMessage!

*** Final Issue Of The Magazine Comes Out In December ***
<http://jimromenesko.com/2014/10/08/the-magazine-to-cease-publishing-in-december/>
Jim Romenesko

> Glenn Fleishman launched a Kickstarter campaign today for The Magazine’s second anthology, magazine and announced that the final issue of The Magazine will be published in December.

*** Fitbit Says HealthKit Is An 'Interesting New Platform' But Has No Current Plans To Support It ***
<http://www.imore.com/fitbit-says-healthkit-interesting-new-platform-has-no-current-plans-support-it?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
John Callaham, iMore

> The wearable fitness device company Fitbit stated in a recent post on its community forum that it has '"no current plans" to support Apple's HealthKit system that launched as part of iOS 8 but did say that it was an "interesting new platform".

*** To Lure Young Readers, Nonfiction Writers Sanitize And Simplify ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/08/business/media/laura-hillenbrand-jon-meacham-adapt-titles-for-children.html>
Alexandra Alter, New York Times

> Inspired by the booming market for young adult novels, a growing number of biographers and historians are retrofitting their works to make them palatable for younger readers. Prominent nonfiction writers like Ms. Hillenbrand, Jon Meacham and Rick Atkinson are now grappling with how to handle unsettling or controversial material in their books as they try to win over this impressionable new audience.

*** In Cronenberg's 'Consumed,' An Appetite For Sex, Death And The Latest Gear ***
<http://www.npr.org/2014/10/07/343150102/in-cronenbergs-consumed-an-appetite-for-sex-death-and-the-latest-gear>
Jason Sheehan, NPR

> Here's everything you need to know about <i>Consumed</i> in one sentence: This is a book that is unmistakably written by David Cronenberg.

*** King Of Click: The Story Of The Greatest Keyboard Ever Made ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/7/6882427/king-of-keys>
Adi Robertson, The Verge