[MyAppleMenu] Oct 7, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 7 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Review: Wunderlist 3 For iOS And OS X Shines At Delegation ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2692374/review-wunderlist-3-for-ios-and-os-x.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

> At its most basic, Wunderlist is a list manager, for anything from must-see movies to grocery lists. How you create, update, and manage your lists varies insignificantly from app to app, but the beauty is just how immediately any changes you make are pushed to all your other devices. No matter whether you're changing Wunderlist's background on your iOS device or adding a note to an item on your Mac, synchronization is satisfyingly snappy.

*** Facebook’s Shuttle Bus Drivers Seek To Unionize ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/06/business/facebooks-bus-drivers-seek-union.html?_r=0&referrer=>
Steven Greenhouse, New York Times

> A Teamsters official said the union was first seeking to unionize Facebook drivers, and then hoped to organize drivers for Google, Apple and other Silicon Valley companies.

*** What To Do About Code Signing ***
<http://indiestack.com/2014/10/what-to-do-about-code-signing/>
Daniel Jalkut, Indie Stack

> Everybody has to start signing with the modern code-signing infrastructure. In the interim, there’s a good chance your app has been whitelisted to operate as usual during the transition, but that courtesy will probably not extend to your next release.

*** Apple’s Sapphire Manufacturing Partner Files For Bankruptcy ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/apples-sapphire-manufacturing-partner-files-for-bankruptcy/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

*** Smartphone “Backdoors” And Open Computing ***
<http://justsecurity.org/15903/smartphone-backdoors-open-computing/>
Julian Sanchez, Just Security

> Pundits who don’t understand technology very well hear that Apple used to be able to provide some information to law enforcement and simply assume that any smartphone maker could do the same without rendering users’ data hugely less secure against all other attackers.

*** Livestream App Lets Your Audience Live The Action With You As It Happens On Your GoPro ***
<http://www.imore.com/livestream-app-lets-your-audience-live-action-you-it-happens-your-gopro?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Chuong H Nguyen, iMore

*** Gatekeeper’s Opaque Whitelist ***
<http://indiestack.com/2014/10/gatekeepers-opaque-whitelist/>
Daniel Jalkut, Indie Stack

> Could this explain the fact that many, many people observed that their apps with old, V1 signatures continue to pass Gatekeeper’s scrutiny e.g. on 10.9.5, even though Apple stated that V2 code signatures would be required?

*** Gmail For iOS Updated With Support For iPhone 6 And 6 Plus Display Sizes ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/06/gmail-for-ios-updated-with-support-for-iphone-6-and-6-plus-display-sizes/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** 1Password 5.1 Adds iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Support, Touch ID Improvements ***
<http://www.imore.com/1password-51-adds-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-support-more?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Joseph Keller, iMore

> 1Password 5.1 now combines auto-lock time outs for Touch ID/PIN Code and the master password. This allows Touch ID to appear more reliably within the 1Password extension.

*** Keymoji Custom Keyboard Lets You Add Emoji By Typing Their Name ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/keymoji-custom-keyboard-lets-you-add-emoji-by-typing-their-name/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Keymoji looks like a standard QWERTY keyboard, but as soon as you start typing emoji suggestions are displayed in a scrollable QuickType-like bar. What's great about Keymoji is that its developers have built a database of emoji groups for expressions or situations that go beyond individual emojis.

*** Reading Should Be One Of Life’s Joys, Not A Duty ***
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/11143854/Reading-should-be-one-of-lifes-joys-not-a-duty.html>
Laura Thompson, The Telegraph

> Why on earth should anybody read a book if it is not fulfilling its most basic requirement, which is to entertain?
> Then doubt crept in.

*** The Kitchen Network ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/13/cooka%C2%80%C2%99s-tale?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=twitter&mbid=social_twitter>
Lauren Hilgers, New Yorker

> America’s underground Chinese restaurant workers.

*** ‘The Glass Cage’ By Nicholas Carr ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/10/02/book-review-the-glass-cage-automation-and-nicholas-carr/1tTlJz3ik8q2GIyXBGbRUM/story.html>
Hiawatha Bray, The Boston Globe

> As part of its radical effort to flood the planet’s roads with self-driving cars, Google this year unveiled a prototype without a steering wheel, accelerator, or brake pedal. Technology advocates were awed. Not so the California Department of Motor Vehicles, which insisted it would not allow the cars to be tested on the state’s roads unless the humans inside could take control of them.
> You could call it an example of clueless bureaucracy standing athwart the path of progress. But you’d be picking a fight with Nicholas Carr, author of “The Glass Cage: Automation and Us,’’ a sobering new analysis of the hazards of intelligent technology.

*** Find Your Beach ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/oct/23/find-your-beach/?Src=longreads&utm_content=buffer8d285&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>
Zadie Smith, The New York Review Of Books

> Across the way from our apartment—on Houston, I guess—there’s a new wall ad. The site is forty feet high, twenty feet wide. It changes once or twice a year. Whatever’s on that wall is my view: I look at it more than the sky or the new World Trade Center, more than the water towers, the passing cabs. It has a subliminal effect. Last semester it was a spot for high-end vodka, and while I wrangled children into their snowsuits, chock-full of domestic resentment, I’d find myself dreaming of cold martinis.

*** Mark Bittman’s ‘How To Cook Everything Fast,’ reviewed ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/mark-bittmans-how-to-cook-everything-fast-reviewed/2014/10/06/40052f5c-436a-11e4-b437-1a7368204804_story.html?wprss=rss_food>
Tim Carman, Washington Post

> So here’s my quick takeaway from “Fast”: No matter how bumpy the ride may be, Bittman gets you there in the end. That caramelized cod? Tart, sweet and delicious. The Classic Breakfast Burritos that I spent 45 minutes preparing one early afternoon? Allow my food taster to answer: “I don’t even like breakfast burritos,” she told me, “and I love that.”

*** How School Lunch Became The Latest Political Battleground ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/12/magazine/how-school-lunch-became-the-latest-political-battleground.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Nicholas Confessore, New York Times