[MyAppleMenu] Oct 6, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Oct 6 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** How To Use Your iPhone As A Removable Hard Drive ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2691953/how-to-use-your-iphone-as-a-removable-hard-drive.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Adobe Launches Creative Cloud Updates And New Links To Mobile Apps ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/10/06/adobe-launches-creative-cloud-updates-and-new-links-to-mobile-ap/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> In a major announcement today, Adobe is updating almost every desktop and mobile app it offers. It is aiming these new features and applications at creative professionals so their desktop and mobile tools deeply integrate.

*** Adobe Premiere Clip App Offers Fast Video Editing For iPhone And iPad ***
<http://www.imore.com/adobe-premiere-clip-app-offers-fast-video-editing-iphone-and-ipad?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
John Callaham, iMore

> Adobe has launched a version of its Premiere video editing desktop app for the iPhone and iPad called Adobe Premiere Clip as part of its overall app release plans for the iOS platform.

*** Make The Most Out Of HealthKit With These 5 Apps ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2691957/make-the-most-out-of-healthkit-with-these-5-apps.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Leah Yamshon, Macworld

> These five apps each bring something different to the table, delivering a well-balanced snapshot of your daily health routine.

*** Firechat And Nearby Communication ***
<http://breizh-entropy.org/~nameless/random/posts/firechat_and_nearby_communication/>
Breizh-Entropy

> During the study, we stressed that not only every message sent are broadcasted locally (both Bluetooth and Wifi) regardless of the room, but we also show how easy it was to intercept and send information from/to Firechat users. Given the political context of the Umbrella Revolution, I would advise people to stop using Firechat or at least try to avoid leaking any information that could link to their real identity.

*** Notification Banners Getting Stuck In iOS 8? Here's A Temporary Fix! ***
<http://www.imore.com/notification-banners-getting-stuck-ios-8-heres-temporary-fix?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> When a banner gets stuck in iOS 8 at the top of the screen and flicking doesn't seem to rid you of it, press the Home button once instead.

*** Why Apple's iPhone Encryption Won't Stop NSA (Or Any Other Intelligence Agency) ***
<http://siliconexposed.blogspot.sg/2014/10/why-apples-iphone-encryption-wont-stop.html?m=1>
Andrew Zonenberg, Silicon Exposed

> There is only one situation where disk encryption is potentially useful: if Alice or Bob's phone falls into Eve's hands while locked and she wishes to extract information from it. In this narrow case, disk encryption does make it substantially more difficult, or even impossible, for Eve to recover the cleartext of the encrypted data.
> Unfortunately for Alice and Bob, a well-equipped attacker has several options here (which may vary depending on exactly how Apple's implementation works; many of the details are not public).

*** iOS 8 How-to: Manually Control The Exposure In The Camera App ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/10/05/ios-8-how-to-manually-control-the-exposure-in-the-camera-app/>
Sarah Guarino, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Poem Of The Week: The Natural And Social Science By Michael Donaghy ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/oct/06/poem-of-the-week-the-natural-and-social-science-by-michael-donaghy>
Carol Rumens, The Guardian

*** The Forgotten Female Programmers Who Created Modern Tech ***
<http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/10/06/345799830/the-forgotten-female-programmers-who-created-modern-tech>
Laura Sydell, NPR

> It wasn't always this way. Decades ago, it was women who pioneered computer programming — but too often, that's a part of history that even the smartest people don't know.

*** The Best Possible Day ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/05/opinion/sunday/the-best-possible-day.html?referrer=&_r=0>
Atul Gawande, New York Times