[MyAppleMenu] Oct 3, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 3 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** iPhone 6 Plus Review ***
<http://www.imore.com/iphone-6-plus-review>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

*** Ask The iTunes Guy: When A Large iOS Update Won't Fit Your iPhone ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2689310/ask-the-itunes-guy-when-a-large-ios-update-wont-fit-your-iphone.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> This week I’ve chosen some very simple questions that, nevertheless, perplex many iTunes users. I look at updating an iOS device to iOS 8 if you don’t have a lot of free space, using an older iPhone as an iPod, sorting songs alphabetically, and a way to keep iTunes Match from messing with your tags.

*** Apple’s HealthKit Collaborator, Mayo Clinic, Launches Its iOS 8-Integrated App ***
<http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/02/apples-healthkit-collaborator-mayo-clinic-launches-its-ios-8-integrated-app/>
Mark Sullivan, VentureBeat

> The Mayo app now collects data from any number of connected health devices through an integration with the Health app in iOS 8. The HealthKit platform sits above it all and controls which pieces of data in the Health app the Mayo app can access.

*** Thousands Of Macs Infected With OS X Botnet Malware Controlled Via Reddit ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/10/03/thousands-of-macs-infected-with-os-x-botnet-malware-controlled-v/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

*** SwiftKey Keyboard 1.0 Review ***
<http://www.tomsguide.com/us/swiftkey-keyboard-1,review-2393.html>
Philip Michaels, Tom's Guide

> Predictive typing and the ability to enter words by swiping make the SwiftKey an excellent alternate iOS keyboard.

*** Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard Is Great For iPads, Androids And Windows ***
<http://mashable.com/2014/10/02/microsoft-universal-mobile-keyboard-review/>
Lance Ulanoff, Mashable

> The keyboard is pretty smart about each platform. There are a collection of function keys dotted around the keyboard, including Lock, Mute, Play/Pause, Search and Home. In almost every instance, every key worked as it should for each platform. Hitting search while connected to an iPad bought up Spotlight, and in Windows 8.1 it brought up Contextual Search. I was able to wake up my iPhone 6 by hitting the Home button on Microsoft’s keyboard and even enter the unlock code, all without touching the smartphone.

*** Evernote Wants To Go Beyond Note-Taking ***
<http://www.macstories.net/linked/evernote-wants-to-go-beyond-note-taking/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> At its conference in San Francisco today, Evernote announced a slew of updates for its core iOS and OS X experience as well as a redesigned web app (currently available as public beta), a redesign of Penultimate, a new scanner app, and new Market products.

*** Hulu Makes Peace With Apple’s 30 Percent Cut, Enables In-app Billing In Latest iPhone Update ***
<https://gigaom.com/2014/10/02/hulu-makes-peace-with-apples-30-percent-cut-enables-in-app-billing-in-latest-iphone-update/>
Janko Roettgers, GigaOM

*** Notes Plus Is A Terrific Note Taker For iPad ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/10/02/notes-plus-is-a-terrific-note-taker-for-ipad/>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> The app lets you write naturally with either a finger or a stylus, with smooth and readable vector graphic strokes. You can also create a text box to type inside, with a wide choice of type styles and colors. Once anything is on the Notes Plus screen, it can be resized or moved. Scaling is smooth and shows no artifacts.

*** Best Credit Monitoring And Management Apps For iPhone ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-credit-monitoring-and-management-apps-iphone?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Logitech's Type+ Keyboard Case For The iPad Air Offers A Dedicated Row Of iOS Shortcuts ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/logitechs-type-keyboard-case-for-the-ipad-air-offers-a-dedicated-row-of-ios-shortcuts>
Brent Dirks, AppAdvice

*** iOS 8 Third-Party Keyboards Explained And Reviewed ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15121?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

*** Quicken 2015: Close, But Not Yet Acceptable ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15049?rss=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tidbits>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

> After finding much to like about it, including a crisp interface, a clearer and cleverer way to specify details of transactions, and good connections to online financial accounts, its failure to import my Quicken 2007 reports (honed over 15 years for business and personal tax and other reporting) and its lack of report customization makes it a non-starter.

*** Apple Unveils New Perks To Attract Talent ***
<http://fortune.com/2014/10/02/apple-employee-perks/>
Michal Lev-Ram, Fortune

> On Thursday morning the company’s head of HR, Denise Young Smith, sent an employee-wide memo outlining a handful of new and updated benefits, including longer parental leave, education reimbursements for all classes taken by employees, an expanded donation-matching program, subsidized student loan refinancing and full acceleration of stock in the event of an employee’s death.

*** Apple Taps Interim PR Boss ***
<http://recode.net/2014/10/02/codered-apple-taps-interim-pr-boss/>
John Paczkowski, Re/code

*** Emoji++ Is An Emoji Keyboard That Makes Sense ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/emoji-is-an-emoji-keyboard-that-makes-sense/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Emoji++ makes more sense than Apple's emoji keyboard for two main reasons: emoji are displayed in a unified scrollable list and they're organized in categories that you can quickly jump to using a vertical bar on the right.

*** Carbon Copy Cloner 4 Overhauls Interface, Adds Task History ***
<http://www.imore.com/carbon-copy-cloner-4-overhauls-interface?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Simon Sage, iMore

> Carbon Copy Cloner has rolled out a big update to their bootable backup software for OS X. The interface has been overhauled and tons of new functions have been added, such as scheduled tasks and a command-line application option.

*** Twitter For Mac Updated With Support For Multiple Photos And Photos In Messages ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/02/twitter-mac-photo-update/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

*** Halfbrick's Fruit Ninja Goes 2.0 With New Design, New Powers And New Characters ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/halfbricks-fruit-ninja-goes-2-0-with-new-design-new-powers-and-new-characters>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Spotify For iOS Updated With Support For Apple's CarPlay ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/10/spotify-for-ios-updated-with-support-for-apples-carplay>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Aboard Amtrak ***
<http://spnzr.com/aboard-amtrak>
Spencer McCormick

> For some months, Amtrak was my home. It began simply somewhat unintentionally. A friend was getting married in Spokane, Washington, I was in New York, and the 45 day Amtrak pass was cheaper than rent. And so, I was on a train stopped in Washington DC.

*** How To Make Tea Correctly (According To Science): Milk First ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2014/oct/03/how-to-make-tea-science-milk-first>
Dean Burnett, The Guardian