[MyAppleMenu] Nov 29, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Nov 29 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** The Post-PC CEO: No Desk, No Desktop ***
<http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-post-pc-ceo-no-desk-no-desktop-1416424091?mod=mktw>
Steven Norton, Wall Street Journal

> Mr. van Paasschen, 53 years old, is among a growing number of professionals to enter the post-PC world, ditching the desktop and turning to smartphones and tablets as primary work tools. The former Coors Brewing Co. chief relies on his Apple Inc. iPhone and iPad for work at home and the office.
> He admits that the transition was easier for him than for the average employee, since he spends the bulk of his time traveling, attending meetings, or reviewing documents others have created. But he is an early adopter, not a fluke.

*** Apple And The Crisis Of Disruption ***
<https://fortune.com/2014/11/28/apple-and-the-crisis-of-disruption/>
Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

> He may have been right about disk drives, mechanical excavators and steel mills. But Clayton Christensen, whose theory of disruptive innovation underpins much of current business management thought, was wrong about Apple.

*** Cashless Society? It’s Already Coming ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/29/upshot/cashless-society-its-already-coming.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&abt=0002&abg=1>
Damon Darlin, New York Times

> If I were to make a bet, I’d say that 10 years from now the most popular answer from young shoppers about how they make small payments would be: thumbprint. And you’ll get a dull shrug when you ask what a wallet is.

*** Dwelp Is A New Dot-connecting Puzzle Game Unlike Any Other ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/11/dwelp-is-a-new-dot-connecting-puzzle-game-unlike-any-other>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** You Should Play: TwoDots Brings A Much-needed Twist To The Match-three Genre ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2852358/you-should-play-twodots-brings-a-much-needed-twist-to-the-match-three-genre.html#tk.rss_all>
Sarah Jacobsson Purewal, Macworld

*** Some Notes On Twitter’s App Download Tracking ***
<http://nikf.org/blog/twitter-ads-app-detection>
Nik Fletcher

*** Bring iPhone Slo-Mo Videos Back Up To Speed ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/15265?rss>
Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

> If you’ve inadvertently switched to Slo-Mo mode when you meant to use Video mode, or if you shot some slow motion video that you want to convert to real time, here’s a workaround.

*** How To Fix A Broken Home Button In The iPhone 5C ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-fix-broken-home-button-iphone-5c>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** I Refuse By Per Petterson Review – A Masterful Study Of Time ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/nov/29/i-refuse-by-per-petterson-review-masterful-study-of-time>
Neel Mukherjee, The Guardian

> Petterson’s great theme is time and how we experience it. This has a direct bearing on how narrative positions and unspools itself in relation to the consciousness of time, and on how a writer represents human interiority perceiving it.

*** ‘Stalin,’ By Stephen Kotkin ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/30/books/review/stalin-by-stephen-kotkin.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Jennifer Siegel, New York Times