[MyAppleMenu] Nov 2, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Nov 2 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** What’s Behind The Great Podcast Renaissance? ***
<http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/10/whats-behind-the-great-podcast-renaissance.html>
Kevin Roose, New York Magazine

> But as I talked to podcasters, they told me that the biggest reason for the podcast renaissance has nothing to do with the podcasts themselves, or the advertisers funding them.
> It's actually about cars.

*** How To Fix A Blown Or Distorted Earpiece In Your iPhone: The Ultimate Guide ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-fix-blown-earpiece-your-iphone-ultimate-guide?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

> If you can't hear the caller on the other end of the line when you hold your iPhone to your face, or they sound distorted all the time, it's possible that the earpiece is defective or blown out. Most users that have iPhones with this issue can verify it if speakerphone works just fine. If that sounds like what you're experiencing with your iPhone, an earpiece replacement may be in order. Depending on what model iPhone you have, the difficulty range can vary. One thing is for certain though, performing an iPhone repair on your own is a heck of a lot cheaper than purchasing a new iPhone.

*** Microsoft Universal Mobile Keyboard Hands-on: Solid, But Not Quite Universal ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2839565/microsoft-universal-mobile-keyboard-hands-on-solid-but-not-quite-universal.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#tk.rss_all>
Mark Hachman, Macworld

*** The Chapter: A History ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/chapter-history?int-cid=mod-latest>
Nicolas Dames, New Yorker

> The chapter is tied intimately to our notions of literacy, as signalled by the fact that we give the name “chapter books” to the texts that offer school-age children their first mature reading experiences. More than this, the chapter has become a way of looking at the world, a way of dividing time and, therefore, of dividing experience. Its origins date back to long before the printing press or even the bound codex, back to the emergence of prose in antiquity as both an expressive and an informational medium. Literary evolution rarely seems slower than it does in the case of the chapter. What does the chapter’s beginnings reveal about the way our books and stories are still put together?

*** William Gibson Skypes The Future In 'The Peripheral' ***
<http://www.npr.org/2014/11/01/358118728/william-gibson-skypes-the-future-in-the-peripheral>
Jason Sheenan, NPR

*** Daniel Kehlmann’s ‘F’ ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/books/review/daniel-kehlmanns-f.html?referrer=>
Joseph Salvatore, New York Times

> As with Thomas Pynchon’s “V.” or Tom McCarthy’s “C,” in Daniel Kehlmann’s subtly yet masterly constructed puzzle cube of a new novel, readers and characters alike exist for a time in that hazy, uncertain land, where there is not only the desire but the need to solve for x — or, in Kehlmann’s case, “F” — a need to assign value, to accord meaning, to map connections, to know the mind of the creator.

*** Why Innocent People Plead Guilty ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/nov/20/why-innocent-people-plead-guilty/>
Jed S. Rakoff, The New York Review Of Books

> The practice of plea bargaining never really took hold in most other countries, where it was viewed as a kind of “devil’s pact” that allowed guilty defendants to avoid the full force of the law. But in the United States it became commonplace. And while the Supreme Court initially expressed reservations about the system of plea bargaining, eventually the Court came to approve of it, as an exercise in contractual negotiation between independent agents (the prosecutor and the defense counsel) that was helpful in making the system work. Similarly, academics, though somewhat bothered by the reduced role of judges, came to approve of plea bargaining as a system somewhat akin to a regulatory regime.

*** Radio Dusts Off Mistletoe, In October ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/business/media/all-christmas-radio-is-an-enduring-and-profitable-tradition.html?referrer=&_r=0>
Ben Sisario, New York Times