[MyAppleMenu] May 25, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 25 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Apple No Longer Allowing App Downloads Or Updates Following Refund Requests ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-no-longer-allowing-people-who-received-refund-downloaded-apps-reinstall-or-update-them>
Chris Parsons, iMore

> If you've ever bought an app through the App Store and, for whatever reason, decided you needed to request a refund from Apple, then kept on using it and even updated it, bad news for you — it looks like Apple has begun blocking that practice. If you legitimately had an issue and didn't want the app, you won't be affected. If you were taking advantage, those days are done.

*** What Happened At UserLand ***
<http://inessential.com/2014/05/24/what_happened_at_userland>
Brent Simmons, Inesential.com

> Frontier had been a Mac-only app for its entire career. But it was clear that, for the product to survive, it needed a Windows version, since the Mac market share was clearly dwindling.
> As a Mac guy this pained me. Those were dark days for the platform.

I was using Frontier as a CMS (content management system) for my projects. Later, some guy had a bright idea to migrate to Vignette, the CMS with all those digits and commas in the URL.
Also: <a href="http://scripting.com/2014/05/25/brentsVersionOfUserland.html">Brent's story of UserLand</a> (Dave Winer, Scripting.com)

*** Nightmare Neighbours: Behind The Chic Facades Of French Apartment Blocks ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27502469>
Joanna Robertson, BBC

> Neighbours' Day happens every May across France. It is a time for people to make peace with the people next door. But in the apartment blocks of Paris, bitterness and hostility are thriving.

*** The Invisible Killer Threatening Millions Of Migrating Birds ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27426866>
Aidan Lewis, BBC