[MyAppleMenu] May 18, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 18 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Apple Strikes A New Chord In The Future Of Music ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/18/us-apple-beats-music-idUSBREA4H03X20140518>
Christina Farr, Ronald Grover and Lisa Richwine, Reuters

> With digital music downloads in decline, record labels have put pressure on Apple to get its act together on streaming, according to two of the three sources. The record labels hope Apple can turn Beats Music into a strong competitor with Spotify and other streaming services, the sources said.
> "The labels wanted Apple to build a premium service," said one of the sources, who like the others were not authorized to speak about the matter on the record. "They wanted ... to make money through the stream."

*** Thomas Was Alone Moves To The iPad ***
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/17/thomas-was-alone-moves-to-the-ipad/?ref=technology>
Kit Eaton, New York Times

> The game is a puzzle, where you have to navigate colorful rectangles and squares over a tricky, 2-D blocky terrain full of shadowy platforms and glowing toxic puddles to get to the next level.
> But to describe Thomas like this is to miss out on the delightful charm of the game.

*** App Review: A Game About Plants Is One Of The Prettiest Things On iPad ***
<http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/05/app-review-a-game-about-plants-is-one-of-the-prettiest-things-on-ipad/>
Kirk Hamilton, Kotaku

> If people would just get around the silly title and play the game, they’d find one of the most charming games of the last few years. Now it’s found a new home on iPad, and it fits right in.

*** Apple CEO Cook Dares To Be Different From Steve Jobs ***
<http://www.twincities.com/technology/ci_25778648/apple-ceo-cook-dares-be-different-from-steve>
Michael Liedtke, Associated Press

> "Think different" became Apple's creed during the late Steve Jobs' reign as CEO. Now, chief executive Tim Cook is embracing the idea while making decisions that would have seemed crazy to his fabled predecessor.

*** iTunes 11.2.1 Review ***
<http://www.imore.com/itunes-1121-review>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** Smoke: Why We Love It, For Cooking And Eating ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/smoke-why-we-love-it-for-cooking-and-eating/2014/05/15/63914932-daca-11e3-bda1-9b46b2066796_story.html>
Jim Shahin, Washington Post

> It is a glorious pre-summer day, windless and warm, and I am out back at the grill getting drunk. Not on beer (although a couple more and I’ll be what my wife calls “cute”). On smoke.

*** Always Hungry? Here’s Why ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/opinion/sunday/always-hungry-heres-why.html?_r=0>
David S. Ludwig and Mark I Friedman, New York Times

> But what if we’ve confused cause and effect? What if it’s not overeating that causes us to get fat, but the process of getting fatter that causes us to overeat?

*** Garrison Keillor’s New Book: Where All The Stories Are Above Average ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/garrison-keillors-new-book-where-all-the-stories-are-above-average/2014/05/14/91901f82-da18-11e3-bda1-9b46b2066796_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Ron Charles, Washington Post