[MyAppleMenu] Mar 23, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 23 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Inside The iPad Rig Jimmy Fallon Used To Duet With Billy Joel On 'The Tonight Show' ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/21/inside-the-ipad-rig-jimmy-fallon-used-to-duet-with-billy-joel-on-the-tonight-show?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

> But an iPad and Loopy HD alone were not enough to enable the performance, which saw Joel and Fallon loop their own harmonizing voices for backing vocals. While at his "Tonight Show" desk, Fallon controlled the Loopy HD application on an iPad mini that was connected to an offscreen device via a black Lightning cable, and both he and Joel utilized wireless microphones to input their vocals.

*** Slow Feeds Goes Free, Gets Redesigned For iOS 7 And Updated With New Features ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/03/slow-feeds-goes-free-gets-redesigned-for-ios-7-and-updated-with-new-features>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Revealed: Apple And Google’s Wage-fixing Cartel Involved Dozens More Companies, Over One Million Employees ***
<http://pando.com/2014/03/22/revealed-apple-and-googles-wage-fixing-cartel-involved-dozens-more-companies-over-one-million-employees/>
Mark Ames, PandoDaily

> Confidential internal Google and Apple memos, buried within piles of court dockets and reviewed by PandoDaily, clearly show that what began as a secret cartel agreement between Apple’s Steve Jobs and Google’s Eric Schmidt to illegally fix the labor market for hi-tech workers, expanded within a few years to include companies ranging from Dell, IBM, eBay and Microsoft, to Comcast, Clear Channel, Dreamworks, and London-based public relations behemoth WPP. All told, the combined workforces of the companies involved totals well over a million employees.

*** What I Learned Negotiating With Steve Jobs ***
<http://heidiroizen.tumblr.com/post/80368150370/what-i-learned-negotiating-with-steve-jobs>
Heidi Roizen's Adventures In Entrepreneurship!

> “I get that you can’t afford to pay fifty percent of gross,” said Dan’l, “but Steve wants to see 50% on that contract. So figure out a way to make a contract that you can live with that also says 50% at the bottom.”

> That’s when the light bulb came on.

*** Lessons From The Little Ice Age ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/opinion/sunday/lessons-from-the-little-ice-age.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Geoffrey Parker, New York Times

> Climate alone did not cause all the catastrophes of the 17th century, but it exacerbated many of them.

*** Book Review: The Poets’ Wives By David Park ***
<http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/book-review-the-poets-wives-by-david-park-9208069.html>
Holly Williams, The Independent

> They say that behind every great man, there’s a great woman … and the cliché gains weight when it comes to poets: we’re in thrall to the idea of both the muse and the helpmate, the romantic inspiration and the dutiful supporter.

*** Book Review: 'The Book Of Duels' Absorbing, Complex ***
<http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20140322/FEAT/303220027/Book-review-Book-Duels-absorbing-complex>
Michael Kardos, The Clarion-Ledger