[MyAppleMenu] Mar 22, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 22 18:59:00 EDT 2014

Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Convert Images Using Preview In OS X ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57620693-263/convert-images-using-preview-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> There may be times when you might need to convert an image from one format to another on your Mac, either because of some requirement for a specific format, or to compress batches of images to save space.

*** Yahoo, Google And Apple Also Claim Right To Read User Emails ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/21/yahoo-google-and-apple-claim-right-to-read-user-emails>
Alex Hern, The Guardian

> Of the major webmail providers, only Microsoft was prepared to share the internal procedures they have in place governing who can access users' email without a court order and what reasons they must give to do so. Yahoo declined to comment. Neither Apple nor Google had responded to requests for comment ahead of publication.

*** Command-C Updated With Clipboard History, Mac To Mac Sharing, Connection Improvements ***
<http://www.macstories.net/news/command-c-updated-with-clipboard-history-mac-to-mac-sharing-connection-improvements/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Danilo Torrisi’s Command-C, my favorite utility to share the contents of the clipboard across Mac and iOS devices, has been updated today with reliability improvements for Bonjour connections, a new clipboard history view, Mac to Mac sharing, and several other tweaks and fixes to the app that was first released in January.

*** Reactr For iOS Lets You Share A Photo Or Video And Get A Quick Reaction ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/03/21/reactr-for-ios-lets-you-share-a-photo-or-video-and-get-a-quick-r/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mel Martin, TUAW

*** Twitter's Music App Is Dead, Final Shutdown Scheduled For April 18Th ***
<http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/21/twitter-music-shutdown/>
Richard Lawler, Engadget

*** ‘Overwhelmed: Work, Love, And Play When No One Has The Time’ By Brigid Schulte ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/review-overwhelmed-work-love-and-play-when-no-one-has-the-time-by-brigid-schulte/2014/03/21/f5649324-9e6f-11e3-9ba6-800d1192d08b_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Jennifer Howard, Washington Post

> This brain-eating assault of to-dos leaves its victims wrung out, joyless, too tired to stop and smell the roses (which probably need pruning and mulching anyway — add that to the list). But “this is how it feels to live my life: scattered, fragmented, and exhausting,” Brigid Schulte writes early in “Overwhelmed,” her unexpectedly liberating investigation into the plague of busyness that afflicts us. “I am always doing more than one thing at a time and feel I never do any one particularly well. I am always behind and always late, with one more thing and one more thing and one more thing to do before rushing out the door.”

*** The View From Afar ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/books/review/molly-antopols-unamericans.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Masha Gessen, New York Times

> Where did it all go wrong? This is the idée fixe of depression, the question that haunts anyone who has ever felt the color drain out of life. This question also underlies much of literature — it can drive writers. And the difference between good writing and a writing exercise is in fact very much like the difference between life itself and its depressive moments: It is in the complexity, the texture, the expansiveness, the lack of desire to fixate on the moment when it all went off the rails.

*** Think You Know Ugly? Think Again ***
<http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/think-you-know-ugly-think-again/>
Lisa Hix, Collectors Weekly

> You might feel revolted by an object, but if you try to objectively explain why it is ugly, it’s harder than you think. Most people are influenced by the dominant tastes and fashion sensibilities of their generation, class, and ethnic group, and when you remove those factors from the equation, an exact, universal definition of “ugliness” becomes almost impossible to pin down.

*** Why Cities Work Even When Washington Doesn't ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/04/the-case-for-strong-mayors/358642/>
James Fallows, The Atlantic

> The good news, which my wife and I have been surprised by as we’ve traveled in smaller-town America these past few months, is that once you look away from the national level, the American style of self-government can seem practical-minded, nonideological, future-oriented, and capable of compromise. These are of course the very traits we seem to have lost in our national politics.

*** Elegy For A Country’s Seasons ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/apr/03/elegy-countrys-seasons/>
Zadie Smith, The New York Review Of Books