[MyAppleMenu] Jun 10, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 10 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** Apple Issues MacBook Air SMC Update To Fix Battery Drain Issues ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/09/apple-issues-macbook-air-smc-update-to-fix-battery-drain-issues>
AppleInsider

> Apple on Monday released a new system management controller (SMC) for its MacBook Air line of ultraportables, targeting an issues related to unexpected battery drain experienced by some mid-2013 models.

*** New Lock Screen Bypass Discovered In iOS 7, Allows Access In 5 Seconds Under Certain Circumstances ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/09/new-lock-screen-bypass-discovered-in-ios-7-allows-access-in-5-seconds-under-certain-circumstances/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Dom Esposito, 9 To 5 Mac

> It’s important to note that the method used here only provides access to any app that was running in the foreground before the device was locked. While it may not allow full access to an iOS 7 device, different levels of privacy can be breached depending on the app that’s running.

*** Best Podcast Apps For iPhone And iPad: Podcasts, Instacast, Downcast, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-podcast-apps-iphone-podcasts-pocket-casts-instacast-downcast-stitcher>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Apple Removing Music Downloading Apps From App Store, Asking Developers To Change Apps ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/10/apple-removing-music-downloading-apps/>
Richard Padilla, MacRumors

> Apple appears to be removing many of the popular music downloading apps from the iOS App Store, including those that allowed users to obtain files from third-party file sharing sites. The move is likely in an attempt to push the iTunes Store and iTunes Radio, as well as to clean up the App Store ahead of an overhaul in iOS 8.

*** Four Ways To Control iTunes ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2361421/the-many-ways-of-controlling-itunes.html#tk.rss_all>
Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

> iTunes lets you control your music playback from its window, but if you don’t want the full interface visible while you listen to music, there are other ways to tell the app what to do. I’ll show you how you can control iTunes using built-in features as well as third-party apps, so that you can hide the iTunes window when you play your music.

*** Alternatives To Numbers | Numbers Compared To Seven Of The Best Spreadsheets For Mac Users ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/alternatives-numbers-3524091/>
Cliff Joseph, Macworld UK

> Apple's Numbers is a capable spreadsheet, but it's not the only one. Take a look at eight alternatives.

*** iOS 8, WebKit Performance, And XPC ***
<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/06/09/ios-8-webkit>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

> What’s new in iOS 8 is not that a “decision has been reversed”. It’s that inter-application communication APIs — XPC — have been greatly improved. This is why we’ve got all sorts of new stuff: third-party keyboards, sharing extensions, photo filters, and a full-speed embedded WebKit. All very different, all enabled by XPC.

*** Apple Begins Rejecting Apps That Offer Rewards For Video Views, Social Sharing ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/09/apple-begins-rejecting-apps-that-offer-rewards-for-video-views-social-sharing/>
Sarah Perez, TechCrunch

> Apple has begun to crack down on tools that app developers use to monetize and grow their applications, including incentivized video viewing and rewarded social sharing, as well as discovery tools that allow users to find apps inside the games they’re already playing. The move will have a significant impact on the app industry as a whole, and will serve as something of a “reset” in terms of how apps can achieve growth and scale.

*** Introduction To MVVM ***
<http://www.objc.io/issue-13/mvvm.html>
Ash Furrow, Objc.io

*** Hackers Suspected Of Holding Apple Devices To Ransom Detained In Russia ***
<http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/hackers-suspected-of-holding-apple-devices-to-ransom-detained-in-russia-20140609-zs2bm.html>
Ben Grubb, The Sydney Morning Herald

> Russian authorities say they have detained two young hackers who are alleged to have hijacked Apple devices and digitally held them ransom for a sum of money before relinquishing control.

*** The High Art Of Competitive Eating ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/06/is-competitive-eating-a-sport/372172/?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Gabriel Muller, The Atlantic

> Should competitive eaters be considered athletes? What kind of sport calls attention to such brazen gluttony and the unsettling digestive processes of the human body?

*** The End ***
<http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article06091401.aspx>
Stefany Anne Golberg, The Smart Set

> On Suicide and suicide.