[MyAppleMenu] Jun 9, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 9 18:59:01 EDT 2014

*** Apple Maps Are Still Lost ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/08/apple-maps-are-still-lost/>
Ingrid Lunden, TechCrunch

> One tipster says it was a personnel issue: “Many developers left the company, no map improvements planned for iOS 8 release were finished in time. Mostly it was failure of project managers and engineering project managers, tasks were very badly planned, developers had to switch multiple times from project to project.”

*** A Tiny Technical Change In iOS 8 Could Stop Marketers Spying On You ***
<http://qz.com/218437/a-tiny-technical-change-in-ios-8-could-stop-marketers-spying-on-you/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Leo Mirani, Quartz

> Apple’s solution, as discovered by a Swiss programmer, is for iOS 8, the new operating system for iPhones which will be out later this year, to generate a random MAC addresses while scanning for networks. That means that companies and agencies that collect such information will not necessarily know when the same device (i.e., person) visits a store twice, or that the same device pops up in stores across the country or the world, suggesting a much-travelled owner.

*** With iOS 8, The iPhone Will Become Your Digital Hub ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/07/with-ios-8-the-iphone-will-become-your-digital-hub/?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Kyle Russell, TechCrunch

> Nearly every aspect of the “new” ecosystem Apple showed this week revolves around having the iPhone as the center of your digital experience.

*** Alternatives To Apple's AirPort ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/apple/alternatives-apples-airport-3523844/>
Cliff Joseph, Macworld UK

> Putting the Apple AirPort up against seven other routers.

*** Unread For iPad Review ***
<http://www.macstories.net/reviews/unread-for-ipad-review/>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

> Thanks to the larger screen, Unread works better for two core aspects: focus on text and comfort.

*** Tinderbox 6.0 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14815?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

*** Explaining iOS 8’S Extensions: Opening The Platform While Keeping It Secure ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/06/explaining-ios-8s-extensions-opening-the-platform-while-keeping-it-secure/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> We've read the developer documentation and watched the WWDC sessions. Now it's time to break down how these features work, what they do, and how Apple is continuing to balance third-party access to the operating system with security.

*** WWDC 2014: A Love Letter From Apple ***
<http://www.imore.com/wwdc-2014-love-letter-apple>
Rene Ritchie, iMore

*** “How Not To Be Wrong”: What The Literary World Can Learn From Math ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/06/08/how_not_to_be_wrong_what_the_literary_world_can_learn_from_math/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> A poet-mathematician offers an empowering and entertaining primer for the age of Big Data.

*** An S.O.S. In A Saks Bag ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/currency/2014/06/an-sos-in-a-saks-bag.html?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Emily Greenhouse, New Yorker