[MyAppleMenu] Jun 7, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 7 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Should I Install The iOS 8 And OS X Yosemite Betas? ***
<http://lifehacker.com/should-i-install-the-ios-8-and-os-x-yosemite-betas-1587109709>
Torin Klosowski, Lifehacker

> As a general recommendation, it's a bad idea to install beta software on any device you use daily.

In fact, you probably also don't want to install any new software at least for the first one or two weeks.

*** New Territory ***
<http://www.marco.org/2014/06/06/new-territory>
Marco Arment

> The first amazing, forehead-smacking innovations with iOS 8 won’t come from us: they’ll come from people who are coming to iOS development from this point forward, never having known a world without the old restrictions.

*** Chérie King Explores A World Without Limits ***
<http://www.apple.com/your-verse/exploring-without-limits/?sr=hotnews.rss>
Apple

> Travel writer Chérie King has canned down the Amazon River, eaten coal-roasted lobster in Ghana, and visited an underground salt mine in Austria. With her passion for adventure and her iPad Air, King travels the globe na inspires other deaf people to do the same.

*** Apple Acquires Spotsetter, A Social Search Engine For Places ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/06/spotsetter-a-social-search-engine-for-places-acquired-by-apple/>
Sarah Perez, TechCrunch

*** Hard-Boiled ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/books/review/stephen-kings-mr-mercedes.html?ref=books>
Megan Abbot, New York Times

> The fedora’s symbolic weight, and conspicuous disappearance, signal both King’s affectionate awareness of the hard-boiled tradition and his point of departure from it.

*** Start The Presses ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/books/review/the-invention-of-news-by-andrew-pettegree.html>
David Carr, New York Times

> News carries with it a promise of transparency, a light that can be shined into previously dark corners. It is far from a coincidence that the rise of the popular press spelled eventual doom for monarchs of all types. Once the news becomes democratized, governance is sure to follow.

*** Bright Young Assistants ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/books/review/my-salinger-year-by-joanna-rakoff.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Suzanne Berne, New York Times

> “My Salinger Year,” Joanna Rakoff’s breezy memoir of being a “bright young assistant” in the mid-1990s, opens with her decision to leave graduate school, desert her nice college boyfriend and move to New York to write poetry. Almost immediately, she falls for an overbearing aspiring novelist, takes a poorly paid job at a famous literary agency and lands in an unheated apartment in Williamsburg. “I wanted to be extraordinary,” she admits. Instead, she joins a legion of “girls” from comfortable backgrounds determined to live uncomfortably, at least briefly, in vague pursuit of Art.

*** The Saturday Poem: Square Man ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jun/07/saturday-poem-square-man-melissa-lee-houghton>
Melissa Lee-Houghton, The Guardian