[MyAppleMenu] Jun 2, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 2 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Apple’s Hard-to-Find Downloads Send Zombie Apps To Grave ***
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-02/apple-s-hard-to-find-downloads-send-zombie-apps-to-grave.html>
Adam Satariano, Bloomberg

> Six years after Apple Inc. (AAPL) introduced its App Store, the economics of the $23 billion market have become so challenging that apps undertakers are flourishing. Of the more than 1.7 million software programs available in Apple’s and Google Inc.’s online stores, about 600,000 have been downloaded fewer than 100 times in the past 60 days, Sapir said, referring to them as zombie apps. More than 80 percent of all downloads are of the top 500 apps, or less than 1 percent of those available, he added.

*** Apple Adds WWDC Channel To Apple TV For Live Streaming The Keynote ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/02/apple-adds-wwdc-channel-to-apple-tv-for-live-streaming-the-keynote/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

*** How To Share Or Make iCloud Calendars Public On iPhone And iPad ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-publicly-share-calendar-your-iphone-and-ipad>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Apple Giving Out $25 App Store Gift Cards, Jackets To WWDC 2014 Attendees ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/01/apple-giving-out-25-app-store-gift-cards-to-wwdc-2014-attendees/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Dom Esposito, 9 To 5 Mac

*** “Euphoria”: Primitive Love ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/06/01/euphoria_primitive_love/>
Laura Miller, Salon

> It’s the rare novel of ideas that devours its readers’ attention. More often, as with Eleanor Catton’s “The Luminaries” or “Gravity’s Rainbow,” we work our way through these books carefully and with frequent pauses, rather than gulping them down in long, thirsty drafts. It’s not a literary form known for its great romances, either, although of course love and sex play a role in most fictional characters’ lives. Lily King’s “Euphoria,” a shortish novel based on a period in the life of pioneering anthropologist Margaret Mead, is an exception. At its center is a romantic triangle, and it tells a story that begs to be consumed in one or two luxurious binges.

*** ‘Mr. Mercedes,’ By Stephen King ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/mr-mercedes-by-stephen-king/2014/06/01/3641cc9a-bf27-11e3-b195-dd0c1174052c_story.html?wprss=rss_books>
Bill Sheehan, Washington Post

> On one level, “Mr. Mercedes” is an expertly crafted example of the classic race-against-the-clock thriller. On another, it is a novel of depth and character enriched throughout by the grace notes King provides in such seemingly effortless profusion.

*** Poems Of The Week: Selima Hill ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/jun/02/poems-of-the-week-selima-hill-the-sparkling-jewel-of-naturism>
Carol Rumens, The Guardian