[MyAppleMenu] Jun 1, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 1 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** Shell Scripting With Objective-C ***
<http://blog.manbolo.com/2014/06/01/shell-scripting-with-objectivec>
Manbolo Blog

> Inspired by Nicolas Bouilleaud’s Objective-C Minimalism, I’ve tried to see if I could use Objective-C for shell scripting on my Mac. I normally code my shell scripts in Python, I love the language, so easy to read, so fun to write, with a ton of brillant third-party libraries, like Requests, Pillow or Beautiful Soup. But I would like to see if Objective-C could also do the job for shell scripting: as I spend the most of my day job writings iOS apps, I could maybe reuse my knowledge for small utility scripts.

*** Portland Apple Store Opening: Watch Apple Fans Explain Why They Got In Line At 4 A.m. (Video) ***
<http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2014/05/portland_apple_store_opening_w.html>
Joseph Rose, OregonLive.com

> Most of them wanted a gray T-shirt, which would be handed out to the first 1,000 people steeping through the portal under a glowing Apple logo.

*** Apple's New Portland Store Now Open; Here It Is In Pictures, And By The Numbers ***
<http://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2014/05/apples_new_portland_store_open.html>
Mike Rogoway, OregonLive.com

> The company calls it a "pavilion store," enclosed on three sides by a tall glass frame that extends all the way to its ceiling, 20-feet above, and on the back by imported Italian stone. Computers sit on English oak tables that rest on a terrazzo flooring.

*** Why You Hate Work ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/opinion/sunday/why-you-hate-work.html?_r=0>
Tony Schwartz and Christine Porath, New York Times

> The way we’re working isn’t working. Even if you’re lucky enough to have a job, you’re probably not very excited to get to the office in the morning, you don’t feel much appreciated while you’re there, you find it difficult to get your most important work accomplished, amid all the distractions, and you don’t believe that what you’re doing makes much of a difference anyway. By the time you get home, you’re pretty much running on empty, and yet still answering emails until you fall asleep.
> Increasingly, this experience is common not just to middle managers, but also to top executives.

*** Why Antibiotics Are Making Us All Ill ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/01/why-antibiotics-making-us-ill-bacteria-martin-blaser>
Martin Blaser, The Guardian

> For multiple reasons, we are losing our ancient microbes. This quandary is my central theme. The loss of microbial diversity on and within our bodies is exacting a terrible price. I predict it will be worse in the future. Just as the internal combustion engine, splitting the atom, and pesticides all have had unanticipated effects, so, too, does the abuse of antibiotics and other medical or quasi-medical practices (eg sanitiser use).

*** Mainland Censorship: Authors Cut Their Losses ***
<http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/article/1520312/mainland-censorship-authors-cut-their-losses>
Dinah Gardner, South China Morning Post

> While the attractions of the Chinese market - more money and the chance to engage with a new readership - grow, the costs to a writer's reputation and to the truth may turn out to be far greater than the rewards.

*** How CBS Scooped The World On The Tiananmen Square Story ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/how-cbs-scooped-the-world-on-the-tiananmen-square-story/2014/05/29/a20a9e84-bfef-11e3-b195-dd0c1174052c_story.html>
Michael Streissguth, Washington Post