[MyAppleMenu] Jul 10, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 10 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** How To Find Special Characters In OS X ***
<http://www.macissues.com/2014/07/10/how-to-find-special-characters-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, MacIssues

*** Review: Unlimited E-book Services Offer Plenty ***
<http://www.aikenstandard.com/article/20140709/AIK0106/140709323/1013/review-unlimited-e-book-services-offer-plenty>
Anick Jesdanun, Associated Press

> But I found plenty to read in no time, and I found myself reading more than I normally would. These services are great if you have a long weekend or a vacation coming up, or in my case three weeks of travels from California to New York.
> Just don’t think it’ll be the same as walking into a library and finding just about any book you want.

*** Former Retail Chief: Only 1 In 100 Apple Store Visitors Actually Buys ***
<http://www.cnet.com/news/former-retail-chief-only-1-in-100-apple-store-visitors-actually-buys/>
Chris Matyszczyk, CNET

> In an interview at Stanford, Ron Johnson explains that Apple stores aren't places to sell. They are places to be.

*** Highly Anticipated Minecraft - Pocket Edition Update With Infinite Worlds Out Now On iOS ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/07/highly-anticipated-minecraft-pocket-edition-update-with-infinite-worlds-out-now-on-ios>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Parallels Access 2 Review: Control Your Mac (Or PC) From Your iPad Or iPhone ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2451775/parallels-access-2-review-control-your-mac-or-pc-from-your-ipad-or-iphone.html#tk.rss_all>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

> Parallels Access 2 lets you view and control your computer from any iOS device. It's a nice upgrade over the original, though subscription-based pricing makes it less appealing than some competitors.

*** Skitch Is A Multi-purpose Editing Tool For Doodling On Any Document ***
<http://www.techhive.com/article/2450075/skitch-is-a-multi-purpose-editing-tool-for-doodling-on-any-document.html#tk.rss_all>
Leah Yamshon, TechHive

> You can markup a photo for fun, point things out on a map, markup a webpage, annotate a PDF, or use it as a blank canvas for a fresh idea, drawing it out from scratch.

*** Clean Energy The Focus Of Apple's Environmental Report ***
<http://www.imore.com/clean-energy-focus-apples-environmental-report>
Chuong H Nguyen, iMore

> Apple has just released its environmental report for 2013 where the company is highlighting its clean energy use at its offices, stores, and employee initiatives. The report makes note of Apple's use of renewable energy, reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, and reduction of carbon footprint.

*** Apple Secures EU Trademark For Store Layouts ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/article_email/apple-secures-eu-trademark-for-store-layouts-1404981891-lMyQjAxMTA0MDEwMDExNDAyWj>
Matina Stevis, Wall Street Journal

> The judgment allows Apple to replicate its distinguishing store layout—airy, well-lit interiors displaying Apple goods on open table tops—in the EU and stops competitors from replicating the style in their shops.

*** Why iWork Had To Change (And What That Has To Do With Aperture) ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14783?rss>
Michael E. Cohen, TidBITS

> For Apple to provide a seamless, cross-device, cloud-managed experience, it had to build its apps with that experience in mind — patching old code just won’t cut it.

*** The Next Big Programming Language You’ve Never Heard Of ***
<http://www.wired.com/2014/07/d-programming-language/>
Cade Metz, Wired

> In the past, the programming world was split in two: the fast languages and the simpler modern languages. But now, these two worlds are coming together.

*** ‘The Hundred-Year House’ By Rebecca Makkai ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/07/09/book-review-the-hundred-year-house-rebecca-makkai/omz3q0jaTQbOzuRkeKuzTM/story.html>
S. Kirk Walsh, The Boston Globe

> Three years after the enthusiastic reception of her debut novel, “The Borrower,” Rebecca Makkai returns with “The Hundred-Year House,” an entertaining, ambitious saga of secrets, ghosts, and an old mansion. Setting her story on the sprawling estate of Laurelfield on Chicago’s North Shore, the author skillfully unfurls an intricate narrative — with an expansive cast of characters — which begins in 1990 and retraces to 1900.

*** One More Time ***
<http://aeon.co/magazine/altered-states/why-we-love-repetition-in-music/>
Elizabeth Hellmuth Margulis, Aeon