[MyAppleMenu] Jul 9, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 9 18:59:00 EDT 2014

*** National Federation Of The Blind Pushes Apple To Add Accessibility Requirements For Apps ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/09/national-federation-of-the-blind-pushes-apple-to-add-accessibility-requirements-for-apps>
Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

> Members of the National Federation of the Blind have approved a resolution that will have the advocacy group, which successfully sued Apple over iTunes in 2008, begin a new campaign designed to convince the iPhone maker to consider accessibility when approving apps for sale in the App Store.

*** Apple Suffers Siri Patent Case Defeat In China ***
<http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28226582>
BBC

> Apple has failed in its attempt to get a Chinese company's voice-recognition patent ruled invalid.
> The verdict threatens Apple's ability to offer its voice-controlled virtual assistant, Siri, in the country.

*** Apple Launches iTunes U 2.0 With iPad-based Course Creation, Student Discussions, More ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/08/apple-launches-itunes-u-2-0-with-ipad-based-course-creation-student-discussions-more/>
Mark Gurman, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Bye Google Maps: Apple Brings Its Maps To The Web For Find My iPhone ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/08/bye-google-maps-apple-brings-its-maps-to-the-web-for-find-my-iphone/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Your Eyes Are Happier Than Your Stomach ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/09/dining/dishes-worthy-of-instagram-but-not-your-appetite.html?ref=dining>
Pete Wells, New York Times

> Not long ago at a restaurant that regularly tweets photos of dishes as lush as one of Monet’s lily ponds, I found myself poking cautiously at perfect circles of glossy black sauce, discs of potato purée that looked like white roses and cylinders of gnocchi so tiny they seemed to have been pushed out of a drinking straw. Tiny, delicate flowers and tender sprigs of leaves gently rested here and there as if a woodland nymph had casually tossed them from a basket before running off to play hide-and-seek with a den of baby field mice. The dish was definitely ready for its close-up. It was also, by and large, very cold — no surprise given how long it must have taken to squeeze and tweeze everything into position.

*** Book Review: ‘One Plus One,’ By Jojo Moyes ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-review-one-plus-one-by-jojo-moyes/2014/07/08/d1ebab28-0169-11e4-8572-4b1b969b6322_story.html>
Sarah Pekkanen, Washington Post