[MyAppleMenu] Jan 28, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jan 28 18:59:01 EST 2014

*** Track Star ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2014/01/ibeacon_shopkick_privacy_policies_for_location_tracking_apps_aren_t_clear.html>
Jennifer Golbeck, Slate

> Right now, users are deciding to share their data based on an analysis of the benefits. But that decision should come from an analysis of the risks, too. That requires transparent and informative privacy policies, but the state of privacy policies today is quite the opposite. They are opaque and misleading. Before granting companies access to such critical components of our lives, we should know exactly what they will collect and how well it will be protected. Without that knowledge, we are forced to operate entirely on trust.

*** What's "After Hours Trading"? ***
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/01/28/after_hours_trading_explained.html>
Matthew Yglesias, Slate

*** GraphicConverter 9 (For Mac) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2429998,00.asp>
Edward Mendelson, PC Magazine

> The best consumer-level graphic editor and manager for OS X, despite an inconsistent and sometimes cluttered interface.

*** Zoom Gets Serious About Audio/video Capture For OS X, iOS ***
<http://www.technologytell.com/apple/129969/zoom-audio-video-ios-os-x/>
Kirk Hiner, TechnologyTell

*** A Pro With Serious Workstation Needs Reviews Apple’s 2013 Mac Pro ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/01/two-steps-forward-a-review-of-the-2013-mac-pro/>
Dave Girard, Ars Technica

> Apple has made an exceptional machine for the future that just needs some tweaks to really shine. It's a machine the company could be proud of at any point in its history.

*** Apple Aperture Review - Aperture Offers A Power Set Of Adjustment Tools Including Advanced White Balance ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/photo-editing/apple-aperture-review-3498947/>
Michael Burns, Macworld UK

*** Best Mail Apps For iPad: Mailbox, Evomail+, myMail, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-mail-apps-ipad-mailbox-evomail-mymail-and-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Paid, Paymium Or Freemium? ***
<http://dancounsell.com/articles/paid-paymium-or-freemium>
Dan Counsell

> The most important thing to remember is to stay focused and work hard on producing a truly great app, choose your business model carefully then market the hell out of it.

*** The Age Of The iPod Is Over ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/27/5351918/apples-ipod-rides-into-the-sunset>
Sean Hollister, The Verge

> What happened to the iPod? Simple cannibalization, for one: every one of those 51 million iPhones can take the place of an iPod. (Steve Jobs famously called the iPhone "the best iPod we've ever made.") And as people increasingly get their music from streaming services, a constant internet connection could be key, something you don't get with an iPod or even a iPod touch unless you have a Wi-Fi hotspot to pair with.

*** Tim Cook: Apple's Challenge Isn't Innovation, It's Where To Focus Its Energy ***
<http://www.imore.com/tim-cook-apples-challenge-isnt-innovation-its-where-focus-its-energy>
Richard Devine, iMore

> "We have zero issue coming up with things we want to do, disrupt in a major way. The challenge is always to focus on the very few that deserves all of our energy. Always done that, and we'll continue to do that."

*** Dark Sky 4.0 Review: Whatever The Weather, This App Has You Covered ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2091417/dark-sky-4-0-review-whatever-the-weather-app-has-you-covered.html#tk.rss_all>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> Backed by data from the Dark Sky Company’s vaunted meteorological API, the app melds new weather information and a redesigned interface to enhance its original purpose. Longtime users may find a tad more lag when viewing detailed weather information, but Dark Sky’s data is well worth the wait.

*** How To Turn Off Autocorrection In OS X Mavericks ***
<http://www.imore.com/how-turn-autocorrection-mavericks>
Peter Cohen, iMore

> I type fast and make mistakes, and some of the time Mavericks is able to correct my mistakes properly. Other times it guesses wrong, substituting words that I've mistyped with something else entirely. If you're having that problem, here's how to turn off autocorrection in Mavericks.

*** Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Review - Offers Most Of What You'd Need From A Digital Darkroom And Asset Manager ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/mac-software/adobe-lightroom-review-3498946/>
Michael Burns, Macworld UK

*** Apple iPhoto 9.5.1 Review - Free With A New Mac ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/photo-editing/apple-iphoto-951-review-3498945/>
Michael Burns, Macworld UK

*** Mac 30Th Celebration: Original Mac Team Members Share Their Stories ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2090837/mac-30th-celebration-original-mac-team-members-share-their-stories.html#tk.rss_all>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

*** NSA And GCHQ Target 'Leaky' Phone Apps Like Angry Birds To Scoop User Data ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/27/nsa-gchq-smartphone-app-angry-birds-personal-data>
James Ball, The Guardian

> The data pouring onto communication networks from the new generation of iPhone and Android apps ranges from phone model and screen size to personal details such as age, gender and location. Some apps, the documents state, can share users' most sensitive information such as sexual orientation – and one app recorded in the material even sends specific sexual preferences such as whether or not the user may be a swinger.

*** Apple Breaks Revenue, iPhone, And iPad Records In Q1 Of 2014 ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/01/apple-breaks-revenue-iphone-and-ipad-records-in-q1-of-2014/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> Apple has just released its financial results for the first quarter of fiscal 2014, which runs from the beginning of October to the end of December. The company earned $13.1 billion in profit on a record $57.6 billion in revenue. Both the revenue numbers and the company's 37.9 percent gross margin were in line with the guidance Apple released at the end of last quarter.

*** The Emerald Light In The Air ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2014/02/03/140203fi_fiction_antrim>
Donald Antrim, New Yorker

*** There’s A Science To Foot Traffic, And It Can Help Us Design Better Cities ***
<http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2014/01/space-syntax-china/>
Nick Stockton, Wired

> Before there was Space Syntax the multinational company, there was space syntax, the science of how cities work. In the late 1970s, British architects Bill Hillier and Julienne Hanson hit on the idea that any space within a city – or the entire city itself – could be analyzed in terms of connectivity and movement. They reasoned that a city’s success depended largely on how easy it was for people to move about on foot.

*** $200 Minus $200 ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/business/dispatches_from_the_welfare_state/2014/01/french_socialized_medicine_vs_u_s_health_care_having_a_baby_in_paris_is.html>
Claire Lundberg, Slate

> Having a baby in Paris gave me a crash course in socialized medicine—and a new, very French definition of “costly.”

*** Looking For Insight Among The World’s Irks And Quirks ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/28/books/b-j-novaks-story-collection-one-more-thing.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Michiko Kakutani, New York Times

> Mr. Novak has an idiosyncratic voice that’s distinctively his own, though “One More Thing” (a title that oddly recalls the line that Columbo, the television police investigator, liked to use to eke out clues from unsuspecting suspects) will also produce lots of comparisons to other writers.

*** Examining The Square Root Of D’oh! ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/28/science/investigating-the-simpsons-and-their-mathematical-secrets.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Amir Alexander, New York Times