[MyAppleMenu] Jan 25, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 25 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Send Valentines And Other Greeting Cards From Your iPhone With Paperless Post 3.0 ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/01/send-valentines-and-other-greeting-cards-from-your-iphone-with-paperless-post-3-0>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Commemorative Posters At Apple Campus List All Former And Current Apple Employees ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/24/apple-posters-badge-number/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

> Apple has debuted a number of posters at its Cupertino headquarters to celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of the Macintosh, with every employee who has ever worked for Apple listed in the order of their badge numbers.

*** MacMiniColo Launches $99/Month Mac Pro Colocation Service ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/24/mac-pro-colo-service/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

*** Mac Pro (Late 2013) Review ***
<http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/desktops/386710/mac-pro-late-2013>
PC Pro

> The Mac Pro is a hugely impressive hardware, of that there is no doubt. It isn't unique in offering this level of power, but to do so in such a compact and efficient package is a truly impressive feat of engineering. To our knowledge, there isn't any other workstation machine that's as compact and portable, or as quiet. It's an unparalleled triumph in this regard.

> For that reason, and that reason alone, we can see an awful lot of individuals and businesses seriously considering purchasing a Mac Pro. Imagine being able to edit multiple streams of 4K video on location, while shooting TV programs or films, without having to ferry footage back to the studio. The sheer logistical advantage of using a Mac Pro over and above, say, a full-sized desktop tower is difficult to ignore.

*** How To Get Apple’s Custom Font Celebrating 30 Years Of Mac ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/24/how-to-get-apples-custom-font-celebrating-30-years-of-mac/>
Darrell Etherington, TechCrunch

> Apple left an easter egg (intentional or otherwise) in its new 30 years of Mac tribute website today: A custom font that depicts each Mac model from the past three decades of its history as a maker of personal computers.

*** FileMaker 13: More Polished But Pricey ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14456?rss>
Steve McCabe, TidBITS

> In the end, possibly the most remarkable aspect of the new version of the FileMaker Platform is the pricing and licensing scheme. In addition to the pricey “concurrent connections” idea that makes WebDirect a non-trivial purchase, FileMaker, Inc. implemented a monthly licensing option similar to Adobe’s Creative Cloud system, but with a more attractive pricing structure.

*** 20 Ways Apple’s Mac Changed Everything (Other Than The Most Obvious Ones) ***
<http://techland.time.com/2014/01/24/mac-thirtieth-anniversary/>
Harry McCracken, Time

> And if you trace the history of the Mac from 1984 to 2014, you keep coming up with ways the platform influenced the rest of the industry — yes, even during the scary period during the mid-1990s when the company flirted with financial disaster.

> So for this list, I’m skipping the reasons why the Mac mattered in 1984. Here’s why it’s never stopped being the world’s most influential personal computer.

*** The Day Etta Died ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/25/day-etta-died-john-burnside>
John Burnside, The Guardian

*** How Long Have I Got Left? ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/25/opinion/sunday/how-long-have-i-got-left.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1>
Paul Kalanithi, New York Times

> I began to realize that coming face to face with my own mortality, in a sense, had changed both nothing and everything. Before my cancer was diagnosed, I knew that someday I would die, but I didn’t know when. After the diagnosis, I knew that someday I would die, but I didn’t know when. But now I knew it acutely. The problem wasn’t really a scientific one. The fact of death is unsettling. Yet there is no other way to live.

*** Under The Covers: 'Why I Read,' By Wendy Lesser ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/books/review/why-i-read-by-wendy-lesser.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
William Giraldi, New York Times

> The salient word, of course, is “quality” reading. In his indispensable “Lectures on Russian Literature,” Vladimir Nabokov, with typical Nabokovian acuity, chided those pedants “who talk about books instead of talking within books.” That might appear a distinction without much difference, but Wendy Lesser’s lovely “Why I Read: The Serious Pleasure of Books” demonstrates the chasm between Nabokov’s two prepositions. An intellectual of unflinching dignity and gravitas, founder of The Threepenny Review and author of nine previous books — including literary memoir, cultural criticism and an incandescent study of Shostakovich — Lesser talks <i>within</i> books as few now are able to do.

*** Book Review: 'The Curious History Of The Crossword' By Ben Tausig ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303393804579308483935108714?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303393804579308483935108714.html>
Michael Sharp, Wall Street Journal

> This tension between the puzzle-as-fun and the puzzle-as-politics is captured beautifully in Ben Tausig's "The Curious History of the Crossword: 100 Puzzles From Then and Now," which commemorates the puzzle's centenary with specimens from throughout the past 100 years and thematic chapters tracing the puzzle's history.

*** That's What She Said: The Rise And Fall Of The 2000S' Best Bad Joke ***
<http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/01/thats-what-she-said-the-rise-and-fall-of-the-2000s-best-bad-joke/283259/>
Daniel A. Gross, The Atlantic