[MyAppleMenu] Jan 5, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 5 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Can A Mac Be A Gaming PC? How The World Is Changing For Mac Gamers ***
<http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/can-a-mac-be-a-gaming-pc-how-the-world-is-changing-for-mac-gamers-1209369?src=rss&attr=all>
Matthew Bolton, PCFormat

> For years, Mac gaming has been almost an oxymoron - not really worth considering if your love of games extends beyond Football Manager. But things are changing. Big games are coming to Mac quicker and quicker, instead of arriving three years later or not at all.

> Perhaps more excitingly, new indie games tend to hit Mac at the same time as everything else thanks to improved engine support, with Humble Bundles seeing major uptakes from Apple users, and most Steam Early Access games eager for them, too.

*** Smart Personal Finance App Wally Updated With Support For Future Expenses And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/01/smart-personal-finance-app-wally-updated-with-support-for-future-expenses-and-more>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Where Will We Live? ***
<http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n01/james-meek/where-will-we-live>
James Meek, London Review Of Books

> A housing shortage that has been building up for the past thirty years is reaching the point of crisis. The party in power, whose late 20th-century figurehead, Margaret Thatcher, did so much to create the problem, is responding by separating off the economically least powerful and squeezing them into the smallest, meanest, most insecure possible living space. In effect, if not in explicit intention, it is a let-the-poor-be-poor crusade, a Campaign for Real Poverty. The government has stopped short of explicitly declaring war on the poor. But how different would the situation be if it had?

*** The Daggers Of Jorge Luis Borges ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2014/jan/09/daggers-jorge-luis-borges/?pagination=false>
Michael Greenberg, The New York Review Of Books

> Throughout his life, Jorge Luis Borges was engaged in a dialogue with violence. Speaking to an interviewer about his childhood in what was then the outlying barrio of Palermo, in Buenos Aires, he said, “To call a man, or to think of him, as a coward—that was the last thing…the kind of thing he couldn’t stand.” According to his biographer, Edwin Williamson,1 Borges’s father handed him a dagger when he was a boy, with instructions to overcome his poor eyesight and “generally defeated” demeanor and let the boys who were bullying him know that he was a man.

*** Technology, Economy Reshape Dental, Medical, Legal Offices ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/technology-economy-reshape-dental-medical-legal-offices/2014/01/02/03f34262-4d73-11e3-be6b-d3d28122e6d4_story.html>
Beth Herman, Washington Post

> Though the term “underwater” may have a negative connotation in today’s economy, there’s no place Ashburn-based dentist Haress Rahim would rather be.

*** How Can We Make Sense Of The World Without Reading Stories? ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/04/ruth-rendell-reading-dying-art>
Rachel Cooke, The Guardian