[MyAppleMenu] Jan 4, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 4 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** What Happens After Apple Features Your App In The App Store ***
<http://mashable.com/2014/01/03/apple-app-store-features/>
Seth Fiegerman, Mashable

*** Is Apple’s E-book Fight Worth The Trouble? ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/currency/2014/01/is-apples-e-book-fight-worth-the-trouble.html>
Yukari Iwatani Kane, New Yorker

> Though appointing a monitor is rare when a defendant has no prior history of wrongdoing, Apple’s behavior over the past few months may help validate the judge’s decision to appoint one. And the question remains: Do the benefits of Apple’s strategy outweigh the costs?

*** Yahoo Sports Gets iOS 7 Redesign, Awesome Gif Creation Tool For Sharing ‘Big 4′ Sports Moments ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/03/yahoo-sports-gets-ios-7-redesign-awesome-gif-creation-tool-for-sharing-big-4-sports-moments/>
Matthew Panzarino, TechCrunch

*** Digital Music Sales Decrease For First Time In 2013 ***
<http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/5855162/digital-music-sales-decrease-for-first-time-in-2013>
Ed Christman, Billboard

> For the first time since the iTunes store opened its doors, the U.S. music industry finished the year with a decrease in digital music sales.

> While industry executives initially refused to attribute the early signs this year of digital sales weakness to the consumer's growing appetite for streaming, in the second half of the year many were conceding that ad-supported and paid subscription services were indeed cannibalizing digital sales.

*** Anki Drive Update Offers New Upgrades And Weapons For Its Robotic Slot Cars ***
<http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/03/anki-drive-update/>
Nicole Lee, Engadget

> The update lets each miniature racer get up to 20 upgrades across four different dimensions -- engine, combat, energy and chassis -- along with weapons and swappable items.

*** SecOps Failure: GPG+Gmail On OSX Mavericks May Store Unencrypted Drafts ***
<http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/secops-failure-gpggmail-on-osx-mavericks-may-store-unencrypted-drafts/>
Dan Goodin, Ars Technica

> If you're sending encrypted e-mail with the default Mail app on OS X Mavericks, your setup may be saving plaintext messages on the mail server. Mac-based users of the GPG encryption app began noticing this unfortunate behavior in October when using Gmail. Even after unchecking the "Store draft messages on the server" and "Store sent messages on the server" checkboxes, the changes would mysteriously vanish.

*** Preventing Manual Password Resets On A Mac By Using FileVault Security ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/01/03/prevent-manual-password-reset-mac/>
OS X Daily

*** Fix iPhone 5 Charging Problems ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14397?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

> Every so often after that, when I plugged the iPhone into a Lightning cable — and it didn’t matter which one — there wouldn’t be a connection, and the iPhone wouldn’t report that it was charging. That it happened at all was concerning enough, but the problem got worse. For the last several weeks, I’ve had to apply firm upward pressure on the Lightning cable to make the connection, and the last few nights, I had to stack books on the iPhone to maintain the necessary pressure.

*** Choosing Hardware And Software For Podcast Recording ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14395?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

*** Shoots & Leaves Will Reduce The Clutter Of To-Dos In Your Camera Roll ***
<http://appadvice.com/review/quickadvice-shoots-and-leaves/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AppAdvice+%28AppAdvice%29>
Christine Chan, AppAdvice

*** Book Review: 'Empire Of Secrets' ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303453004579290221019103220>
Daniel Johnson, Wall Street Journal

> At the heart of Calder Walton's "Empire of Secrets: British Intelligence, the Cold War, and the Twilight of Empire," an important and highly original account of postwar British intelligence, is a history of the Anglo-American "special relationship."

*** On Such A Full Sea, By Chang-Rae Lee: Book Review - Looking In From The Peripheries Of A Dangerous Dystopia ***
<http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/on-such-a-full-sea-by-changrae-lee-book-review--looking-in-from-the-peripheries-of-a-dangerous-dystopia-9035072.html>
Max Liu, The Independent

> On Such a Full Sea is a strange, skilful performance by a novelist who is brave enough to consistently subvert our expectations of narrative continuity.

*** Barracuda By Christos Tsiolkas – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jan/03/barracuda-christos-tsiolkas-review>
Mark Lawson, The Guardian