[MyAppleMenu] Jan 1, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jan 1 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Kick Off Your Project 365 This New Year With The Newly Updated Photo 365 App ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/01/kick-off-your-project-365-this-new-year-with-the-newly-updated-photo-365-app>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Marvel Unlimited Gets iOS 7 Design Refresh And More In Newly Issued Update ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2013/12/marvel-unlimited-gets-ios-7-design-refresh-and-more-in-newly-issued-update>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** CocoaPods: Package Management For iOS & OS X Development ***
<http://www.itworld.com/development/398072/cocoapods-package-management-ios-os-x-development>
Mathew Mombrea, ITworld

*** Apple Says It Has Never Worked With NSA To Create iPhone Backdoors, Is Unaware Of Alleged DROPOUTJEEP Snooping Program ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/31/apple-says-it-has-never-worked-with-nsa-to-create-iphone-backdoors-is-unaware-of-alleged-dropoutjeep-snooping-program/>
Matthew Panzarino, TechCrunch

> "Apple has never worked with the NSA to create a backdoor in any of our products, including iPhone. Additionally, we have been unaware of this alleged NSA program targeting our products. We care deeply about our customers’ privacy and security. Our team is continuously working to make our products even more secure, and we make it easy for customers to keep their software up to date with the latest advancements. Whenever we hear about attempts to undermine Apple’s industry-leading security, we thoroughly investigate and take appropriate steps to protect our customers. We will continue to use our resources to stay ahead of malicious hackers and defend our customers from security attacks, regardless of who’s behind them."

*** The Mac Pro Review (Late 2013) ***
<http://www.anandtech.com/show/7603/mac-pro-review-late-2013>
Anand Lal Shimpi, AnandTech

> By leveraging a pair of high-end GPUs, including one more or less dedicated for compute work, Apple hopes to realize the sort of huge performance gains it has enjoyed in its phones/tablets over the years. The modern Apple is a company that values GPU performance, investing heavily in the GPUs used in all of its products. Even those that leverage Intel’s integrated graphics are pushed as far as possible within thermal constraints. It makes total sense that Apple would choose to outfit its highest end Mac with two GPUs.

*** Mac Pro Late 2013 Teardown ***
<http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Pro+Late+2013+Teardown/20778>
IFixIt

> For being so compact, the design is surprisingly modular and easy to disassemble. Non-proprietary Torx screws are used throughout, and several components can be replaced independently.

*** Restaurant Portions Destroy Your Diet: Eating Out Is Killing Us! ***
<http://www.salon.com/2013/12/31/restaurant_portions_destroy_your_diet_eating_out_is_killing_us/>
Deborah A. Choen, Salon

> Every restaurant serves different portion sizes: some are large, some giant, and others gargantuan. This leaves many of us confused and prone to eating far too much. How much easier would it be to control our intake if we knew that a cheeseburger had 400 calories whether we purchased it at McDonald’s, Burger King, or Denny’s? Or that lunch was going to contain just 640 calories, regardless of what we ordered?

*** Sweet! Pastry Chefs Are Making A Comeback ***
<http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-pastry-chefs-20131228-dto,0,4872590.htmlstory#axzz2p8hEC5E5>
Betty Hallock, Los Angeles Times

> After some rough years, conditions are just right for the return of those responsible for diners’ sugargasms. The proof is in, so to speak, the pudding.

*** When The Yellow Press Got Color ***
<http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2013/dec/31/early-comics-society-is-nix/?src=longreads>
J. Hoberman, The New York Review Of Books