[MyAppleMenu] Feb 28, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Feb 28 18:59:01 EST 2014

*** WeChat Comes To The Desktop With The Launch Of A Native Mac Client; Windows Is Likely To Be Next ***
<http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/02/28/messaging-service-wechat-launches-a-native-os-x-client-making-the-mac-its-first-desktop-platform/#!xMBBY>
Kaylene Hong, The Next Web

> There’s now an additional way for users of popular messaging service WeChat to communicate — via a newly-launched native desktop Mac client. Announced on its official Weibo account, the WeChat Mac client is available in both English and Chinese and brings the WeChat interface into a setting optimized for the Mac desktop.

*** It’s Time For An Mac OS X And iOS Security Checkup ***
<http://gigaom.com/2014/02/28/its-time-for-an-mac-os-x-and-ios-security-checkup/>
Geoffrey Goetz, GigaOM

> Keeping secure in today’s always connected age of computing is not a once and done sort of task, it is an ongoing process that requires attention. The following checklist will help keep your devices secure.

*** Fix Stalled Safe-boot With OS X Mavericks Update ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57619669-263/fix-stalled-safe-boot-with-os-x-mavericks-update/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

*** Review: Documents 5.0 For iOS Is An Even More Powerful Solution For Managing Your Files On The Go ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/02/27/review-documents-5-0-for-ios-is-an-even-more-powerful-solution-for-managing-your-files-on-the-go/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Kensington Proximo Review ***
<http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Kensington-Proximo-review/story-20719660-detail/story.html>
Nicholas Fearn, South Wales Evening Post

> The Kensington Proximo is a tool that works with your iPhone to ensure that you never leave something behind. If you was to, then it would make you aware by sounding an alarm. It comes in the form of a free app and a 'Starter Kit' that consists of a Fob and a Tag.

*** Flixster (For iPhone) ***
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2454235,00.asp>
Michael Muchmore, PC Magazine

> Yes, it does list movies with ratings and plots and theater show-times, but it also offers some major advantages over the general run of movie apps, including excellent Rotten Tomatoes ratings and social integration. It's a clear, well-designed app that efficiently gets you the information you need to make your movie-viewing decision and then easily purchase tickets.

*** Apple Retires Snow Leopard From Support, Leaves 1 In 5 Macs Vulnerable To Attacks ***
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246609/Apple_retires_Snow_Leopard_from_support_leaves_1_in_5_Macs_vulnerable_to_attacks>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

*** Sorry To Say That Apple Platforms Are Still More Secure ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/sorry-to-say-that-apple-platforms-are-still-more-secure-7000026880/>
David Morgenstern, ZDNet

*** Apple Explains Exactly How Secure iMessage Really Is ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/27/apple-explains-exactly-how-secure-imessage-really-is/>
Greg Kumparak, TechCrunch

> Up until now, the vast majority of what we knew about iMessage’s inner workings came from reverse engineering and best guesses. This week, however, Apple quietly released a document that breaks it all down.

*** Apple’s New Management Features Help Locked-down iPads <i>Stay</i> Locked Down ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/02/apples-new-management-features-help-locked-down-ipads-stay-locked-down/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> With these changes, the company is introducing "zero-touch" configuration for new iOS devices via the Device Enrollment Program if you're running your own mobile device management (MDM) server. Customers who go to deploy.apple.com and sign up can enroll new devices by serial number or order number, allowing admins to apply their settings to devices bought from Apple without even removing them from their boxes.

*** Unclutter To The Rescue ***
<http://macsparky.com/blog/2014/2/unclutter-to-the-rescue>
David Sparks, MacSparky

> Unclutter installs a drawer at the top of your Mac’s screen that you can pull down (by gesture or keyboard command) to get quick access to a group of files, an always-ready text field, and your clipboard.

*** OS X 10.9.2 Has Broken AirPlay For Some Users ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/02/os-x-10-9-2-has-broken-airplay-for-some-users>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** Apple's Website Is Now Advising Developers On How To Design For iOS 7 ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/02/apples-website-is-now-advising-developers-on-how-to-design-for-ios-7>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** Are We Already Living In The Technological Singularity? ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/feb/28/are-we-already-living-in-the-technological-singularity>
Damien Walter, The Guardian