[MyAppleMenu] Feb 27, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Feb 27 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Apple To Google Face EU Pressure To Limit Kids' App Sales ***
<http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-27/apple-to-google-face-eu-pressure-to-limit-kids-app-sales.html>
Aoife White And Stephanie Bodoni, Bloomberg

> Google Inc. and other companies that make and sell mobile applications will be told by European Union regulators to curb purchases by children, the EU said today.

> The European Commission and consumer-protection authorities will meet with app makers and marketers to discuss default settings that may lead to consumers racking up purchases without giving their explicit consent. Games that encourage children to buy items or that are misleadingly advertised as free will also be on the agenda, the EU said in an e-mailed statement.

*** Apple Details Touch ID, 'Secure Enclave' In Updated Online Security Document ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/02/apple-details-touch-id-secure-enclave-in-updated-online-security-document>
Joe White, AppAdvice

> To meet concern over the security of the fingerprint scanning Home button, Apple has updated its “iPhone in Business” Web page, detailing both Touch ID and the “Secure Enclave” that works alongside the feature.

*** Understanding Apple's New Deployment Programs ***
<http://www.speirs.org/blog/2014/2/27/understanding-apples-new-deployment-programs>
Fraser Speirs

> Yesterday Apple released two new deployment programs for iOS and Mac, and rolled out enhancements to another. I want to explain as best I can how they work together.

> The Volume Purchase Program has been significantly enhanced and there are two new programs: Device Enrolment Program and AppleID for Students.

*** Thunderbolt Docks Review: The Best Way To Connect Your MacBook To Your Other Devices ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2099483/thunderbolt-docks-review-the-best-way-to-connect-your-macbook-to-your-other-devices.html#tk.rss_all>
James Galbraith and Roman Loyola, Macworld

*** iTunes 11.1.5 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14552?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> Apple has released iTunes 11.1.5, a slim update that fixes an issue that caused iTunes to unexpectedly quit when a device was connected.

*** Mac Pro SMC Firmware Update 2.0 ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14553?rss>
Agen G. N. Schmitz, TidBITS

> The System Management Controller (SMC) update enables most Power Nap activities to proceed without running the Mac Pro’s fan, and it fixes a rare problem that prevented low-speed USB devices from being detected after booting up.

*** Life Outside The Mac App Store ***
<http://realmacsoftware.com/blog/life-outside-the-mac-app-store>
Dan Counsell, Realmac Software Blog

> Selling outside of the Mac App Store has its own set of issues: maintaining an online store, app updates, serial number schemes, the list goes on. Even after all that, it still appears to be worth the extra time and effort.

*** The Battle For The English Language ***
<http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/the-language-wars-standard-english-grammar/#.Uw9HMXm71lK>
Stefan Collini, Prospect

> Why are books about English grammar and correct usage so popular?

*** The Internet Is Fucked (But We Can Fix It) ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/25/5431382/the-internet-is-fucked>
Nilay Patel, The Verge