[MyAppleMenu] Feb 25, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 25 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** How An iPad And A 3-D Printer Can Fix Your Sweaty, Messed Up Feet ***
<http://www.wired.com/design/2014/02/sols-3-d-printed-orthotics/>
Joseph Flaherty, Wired

> A startup called Sols creates kinetic orthotics using a stack of technology similar to what Tony Stark might have invented if he were a foot fetishist.

*** The Dangers Behind Apple's Epic Security Flaw ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/24/5442576/inside-apples-epic-security-flaw>
Russell Brandom, The Verge

> How could a serious security issue at a tech giant go unnoticed for 18 months?

*** Protect Your Mac From SSL Bug ***
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57619382-263/protect-your-mac-from-ssl-bug/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

> Apple has said a fix will be available soon for the desktop operating system, but so far has not mentioned a release date. While a fix will likely come within the next week, until then you can take steps to ensure your system is properly secured.

Essentially, use Firefox (instead of Safari), and use networks you can trust (instead of your local Starbucks.)

*** Belkin Qode Ultimate Keyboard Case For iPad Air Review: Sturdy Keyboard Case For iPad Gets Close To The Apple Look, But Weight Is A Concern ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/ipad-cases/belkin-qode-ultimate-keyboard-case-for-ipad-air-review-3503780/>
David Price, Macworld UK

> The case provides strong protection, it’s easy to use – the magnetically enhanced, multi-positional stand is a highlight - and the keyboard is (while limited in space like all portable units) nice to type on. It also looks smart, even if once again we see that the ‘Apple look’ isn’t as easy to nail as Apple makes it appear.

*** Green And Healthy Product Database App GoodGuide Goes 7.0 For iOS 7 ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/02/green-and-healthy-product-database-app-goodguide-goes-7-0-for-ios-7>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> GoodGuide is a product database app that helps you determine whether the products you’re shopping for are safe, healthy, and green and are manufactured by socially responsible companies. It lets you search, scan, and browse for more than 200,000 products available in the U.S. to discover their science-based health, environment, and social ratings.

*** PhotoScissors For Mac Is An Easy Way To Cut Out Part Of An Image ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/02/24/photoscissors-for-mac-is-an-easy-way-to-cut-out-part-of-an-image/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mel Martin, TUAW

> There are lots of reasons to have a tool like this: product photos, separating objects from a background, creating an isolated image with a new background, etc...

*** Background Monitoring On Non-Jailbroken iOS 7 Devices — And A Mitigation ***
<http://www.fireeye.com/blog/technical/2014/02/background-monitoring-on-non-jailbroken-ios-7-devices-and-a-mitigation.html>
Min Zheng, Hui Xue And Tao Wei, FireEye

*** Biting Into Apple ***
<http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2014/02/internet-security>
G.F., The Economist

> It's not unusual to write code with this sort of mistake; it is a significant problem that it was released without it being found.

*** App-pocalypse Now ***
<http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2014/02/app-pocalypse-now.html>
Jeff Atwood, Coding Horror

> I'm getting pretty sick of being nagged to install your damn apps.

*** ReSound LiNX Launches As World's First 'Made For iPhone' Hearing Aid ***
<http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/24/first-made-for-iphone-hearing-aid/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

> A new hearing aid launched today connects directly to iPhones and other iOS devices, allowing wearers to talk on the phone or listen to music, by GN ReSound, a Danish hearing aid manufacturer.

*** Book Review: Lorrie Moore’s ‘Bark’ Looks At Bitter Disappointments Of Relationships ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-review-lorrie-moores-bark-looks-at-bitter-disappointments-of-relationships/2014/02/24/6e932804-9755-11e3-8461-8a24c7bf0653_story.html>
Heller McAlpin, Washington Post

> Warning: “Bark,” Lorrie Moore’s new collection of short stories, is not something you’d want to give to the newly engaged — unless your intent is subversive and your humor, like Moore’s, is mordant. When the subject is marriage, her bite is right up there with her bark.

*** My <i>Philomena</i> ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/02/a_philomena_story_of_a_man_who_searches_for_his_adoptive_mother_and_learns.html>
Tony Gambino, Slate

> I searched for my adoptive mother and learned two things: She’d recently died. And she’d been desperately searching for me.

*** How Much My Novel Cost Me ***
<https://medium.com/debt-ridden/35d7c8aec846>
Emily Gould, Medium

> It’s hard to write about being broke because brokeness is so relative; “broke” people run the gamut from the trust-funded jerk whose drinks you buy because she’s “so broke right now” to the people who sleep outside the bar where she’s whining. But by summer 2012 I was broke, and in debt, and it was no one’s fault but mine. Besides a couple of freelance writing assignments, my only source of income for more than a year had come from teaching yoga, for which I got paid $40 a class. In 2011 I made $17,000.

*** A Chilling Vision Of A Television Future And Its Prescient Seer ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/25/books/dave-itzkoffs-mad-as-hell-recounts-making-of-network.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Lisa Schwarzbaum, New York Times

> In the closing chapter of “Mad as Hell” — informatively subtitled “The Making of ‘Network’ and the Fateful Vision of the Angriest Man in Movies” — Dave Itzkoff lays out how the American media has become even more Chayefskyian in the decades since Paddy Chayefsky, the angry man in question, wrote his crazed, perceptive, unwieldy, galvanizing satiric fantasia set in the world of network television news.

> Yet Mr. Itzkoff, a culture reporter for The New York Times, doesn’t go far enough. How could he? Between the time the covers were glued on his lively and terrifically detailed account and this very minute, the media world has become more Chayefskyian still.

*** Good-bye, Public Life ***
<http://www.vulture.com/2014/02/alec-baldwin-good-bye-public-life.html>
Alex Baldwin, as told to Joe Hagan, Vulture