[MyAppleMenu] Feb 24, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 24 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Apple Sues Chinese Government Over Siri ***
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/10657744/Apple-sues-Chinese-government-over-Siri.html>
AFP

> Apple launched the case against the State Intellectual Property Office, which is in charge of patent rights protection in China, and Shanghai's Zhizhen Network Technology, which developed software similar to Siri, the report said. Apple declined to comment.

*** When Will Apple Get Serious About Security? ***
<http://www.zdnet.com/when-will-apple-get-serious-about-security-7000026670/>
David Morgenstern, ZDNet

*** Wasteland 2 Post-apocalyptic RPG Comes To Mac On Monday ***
<http://www.imore.com/wasteland-2-post-apocalyptic-rpg-comes-mac-monday>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** Camera360 Gets Refreshed UI, New Effects Store, Enhanced Editing Functions And More ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/02/camera360-gets-refreshed-ui-new-effects-store-enhanced-editing-functions-and-more>
Joe White, AppAdvice

*** The Mobility Myth ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/2014/03/03/140303ta_talk_surowiecki>
James Surowiecki, New Yorker

> “Like many people, we thought mobility would have declined,” Raj Chetty, one of the researchers on the project, told me. “But what we found was that kids born in the early nineteen-nineties had the same chances of climbing up the income ladder as kids born in the seventies.” Even more striking, when the researchers looked at studies tracking economic mobility going back to the fifties, they concluded that it had remained relatively stable over the entire second half of the twentieth century.

> That sounds like good news, but there’s a catch: there wasn’t that much mobility to begin with.

*** Publishers Are Warming To Fan Fiction, But Can It Go Mainstream? ***
<http://www.wired.com/underwire/2014/02/fanfic-and-publishers/>
Rachel Edidin, Wired