[MyAppleMenu] Feb 22, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Feb 22 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Apple Quietly Issues iOS Update To Patch Faulty SSL Authentication (Update: OS X Possibly Affected) ***
<http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/21/apple-ssl-update/>
Sean Buckley, Engadget

> Researchers say they've found evidence that OS X also has SSL validation issues. Security firm Crowdstrike analyzed the iOS updates, and say they've found evidence both of Apple's platforms were vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks. They expect Apple will push a fix for OS X soon, but for now recommend avoiding shady WiFi hotspots and updating only on trusted networks -- good habits to practice any time.

*** Apple Security Flaw Could Allow Hackers To Beat Encryption ***
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/22/us-apple-flaw-idUSBREA1L01Y20140222>
Joseph Menn, Reuters

> A major flaw in Apple Inc software for mobile devices could allow hackers to intercept email and other communications that are meant to be encrypted, the company said on Friday, and experts said Mac computers were even more exposed.

> If attackers have access to a mobile user's network, such as by sharing the same unsecured wireless service offered by a restaurant, they could see or alter exchanges between the user and protected sites such as Gmail and Facebook. Governments with access to telecom carrier data could do the same.

*** Hey Microsoft, Where's The Next Mac Office? ***
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246493/Hey_Microsoft_where_s_the_next_Mac_Office_>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

> Microsoft is behind the schedule it used for the last several iterations, and has not breathed a word about its Mac intentions.

Just like Apple had delayed at least one version of OS X due to work on iOS, we can reasonably suspect Office for Mac is taking longer because of Office for iPad, right?

*** Apple OS X Server: How To Configure A VPN Service ***
<http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/apple-in-the-enterprise/apple-os-x-server-how-to-configure-a-vpn-service/>
JEsus Vigo, TechRepublic

*** OS X Mavericks: What Is Activity Monitor? ***
<http://blogs.computerworld.com/mac-os-x/23564/os-x-mavericks-what-activity-monitor>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

> OS X's Activity Monitor is an essential tool to help you keep your system in good shape. In this report we tell you what it is and some ways to use it.

*** PicFrame Review: Easy App Makes Quick Photo Collages ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2098970/picframe-review-easy-app-makes-quick-photo-collages.html>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

> PicFrame may not have the bells and whistles of fancier collaging apps, but its tools are perfect for those looking to put together a quick collage for an email message, Facebook post, or tweet.

*** Eliss Infinity Review: The Most Frantic iPhone Puzzle Game Yet? ***
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/games/eliss-infinity-iphone-game-review-3503193/>
David Price, Macworld UK

> We'll confess that it took us a few levels to get what Eliss is all about, but it's a definite grower. The action is simple but incredibly mentally engaging and the look and feel are perhaps unique.

*** Threes Is Good Company For iPhone And iPad ***
<http://tidbits.com/article/14531?rss>
Josh Centers, TidBITS

> Threes provides a well-crafted puzzler that’s fun even for math-challenged folks like myself.

*** Apple Releases iOS 7.0.6 And 6.1.6 To Patch An SSL Problem ***
<http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/02/apple-releases-ios-7-0-6-and-6-1-6-to-patch-an-ssl-problem/>
Andrew Cunningham, Ars Technica

> Apple has just released iOS 7.0.6, the sixth minor update to iOS 7. Both it and the new iOS 6.1.6 update "provide a fix for SSL connection verification," their only documented addition.

*** Intel CEO Refuses To Answer Questions On Whether NSA Can Access Processors ***
<http://www.infowars.com/intel-ceo-refuses-to-answer-questions-on-whether-nsa-can-access-processors/>
Steve Watson, InfoWars.com

> While Intel has previously denied the NSA has backdoor access to their products, Krzanich’s dead air space during the recent Reddit Q&A will only serve to heighten fears that Intel is in bed with the NSA and that their hardware cannot be trusted.

*** Apple Confirms Burstly Buy ***
<http://recode.net/2014/02/21/apple-confirms-burstly-buy/>
John Paczkowski and Mike Isaac, Re/code

> Burstly is best known in Silicon Valley circles for its mobile app management platform, offering mobile analytics tools like FlightPath and, more recently, for acquiring TestFlight in 2012 — a testing tool for mobile developers.

*** The Moult ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/22/the-moult-jen-hadfield-saturday-poem>
Jen Hadfield, The Guardian

*** I Still Miss My Typewriter ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/02/21/i-still-miss-my-typewriter/>
Ron Charles, Washington Post

> In high school, being able to type very fast was the closest I came to athletic prowess. (Even at band camp, this was not considered particularly noteworthy.) I typed for hours every day on my mom’s black Royal, which weighed as much as a Dodge Colt. Today, when my Canon printer suddenly runs out of ink, it’s game over, but the tough ribbon on the Royal just got fainter and fainter. Like Elisha with the cruse of oil, you could always, miraculously, fill one more page.

*** King Of Cool ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/books/review/call-me-burroughs-by-barry-miles.html?ref=books&_r=0>
Ann Douglas, New York Times

> William S. Burroughs “didn’t say anything for shock value,” his student Sam Kashner once observed. “His <i>life</i> had shock value.”

*** Wise, Funny Poems, Saved From The Trash Bin In The Nick Of 'Time' ***
<http://www.npr.org/2014/02/21/276863034/wise-funny-poems-saved-from-the-trash-bin-in-the-nick-of-time>
Craig Morgan Teicher, NPR

> It always feels good to see a poet rescued from oblivion. Michael Benedikt (1935-2007), a prominent figure in the poetry scene of the 1960s and 70s, was not exactly an important poet, but he was — and in his work, he remains — a deeply enjoyable one.

*** Book Review: 'The Letters Of Robert Frost, Vol. 1' ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303650204579376813629376986?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702303650204579376813629376986.html>
Christian Wiman, Wall Street Journal

> St. Augustine wished for a special section of hell for people who wondered what God was doing before he created the world and thus time. (The concept of "before," of course, has no meaning without the concept of time.) I'd like to save a little corner for the dodos out there still wondering if a bad man can create good art.

*** How To Get Yourself To Watch “Difficult” Movies ***
<http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/movies/2014/02/schindler_s_list_how_i_finally_forced_myself_to_watch_spielberg_s_holocaust.html>
Julia Turner, Slate