[MyAppleMenu] Feb 21, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Feb 21 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Problems When Linking Objective-C And C++ Code ***
<http://www.drdobbs.com/cpp/problems-when-linking-objective-c-and-c/240166238>
Anna Koneva, Dr Dobb's

> Interoperating between Objective-C and C/C++ code presents several linker challenges, some of which are addressed in these recipes.

*** The Zen Productivity Guide: Tools And Tips For Distraction-free Work ***
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/2099744/the-zen-productivity-guide-tools-and-tips-for-distraction-free-work.html>
Sarah Jacobsson Purewal, PCWorld

> We’ve rounded up some distraction-free apps as well as tips for resisting the seductions of the software you’re currently using. The result is a more mindful, methodical way of working and a calmer, more focused you.

*** OS X, Mavericks: 5 Steps To A Faster Mac ***
<http://blogs.computerworld.com/mac-os-x/23556/os-x-mavericks-5-steps-faster-mac>
Jonny Evans, Computerworld

*** Hop — The Email App That Thinks It’s Instant Messaging — Arrives On The iPad ***
<http://techland.time.com/2014/02/20/hop-ipad/>
Harry McCracken, Time

> If you’re sick of email the way it’s always been done, or just open to a new approach, it’s worth a look.

*** Apple’s Two-step Verification For Apple IDs Arrives In Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Italy, & Spain ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/02/20/apples-two-step-verification-for-apple-ids-arrives-in-canada-france-germany-ireland-japan-italy-spain/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Take Your iOS 7 Note-Taking And List-Making Experience Upward With UpWord Notes ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/02/take-your-ios-7-note-taking-and-list-making-experience-upward-with-upword-notes>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

> UpWord Notes is a new iOS app that offers a simple note-taking app and a simple list-making app in one simple yet ultra capable package.

*** Steve Jobs Will Appear On A US Postage Stamp In 2015 ***
<http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/20/5431460/steve-jobs-will-appear-on-a-us-postage-stamp-in-2015>
Carl Franzen, The Verge

> Many of his creations reduced the need to send physical mail, but late Apple founder Steve Jobs will still get a fitting tribute from the US Postal Service: his likeness will appear on a postage stamp beginning in 2015, according to a document obtained by <i>The Washington Post</i>.

Too soon?

*** Hypercard – Way Too Early ***
<http://avc.com/a_vc/2014/02/hypercard-way-too-early.html>
Fred Wilson, AVC

> So keep your eye on cards. I think Apple was on to something important from a UI and usability perspective thirty years ago when they started building Hypercard. It is now coming to life again on mobile and I think this will be the most interesting battle ground on mobile in the years to come.

*** Best Weather Apps For Mac: Living Earth, Degrees, Clear Day, And More! ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-weather-apps-mac-living-earth-degrees-swackett-and-more>
Allyson Kazmucha, iMore

*** Adobe Releases Adobe Flash Security Update In Second Emergency Fix This Month ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/02/20/adobe-releases-adobe-flash-security-update-in-second-emergency-fix-this-month/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Zac Hall, 9 To 5 Mac

*** The Rags-To-Riches Tale Of How Jan Koum Built WhatsApp Into Facebook's New $19 Billion Baby ***
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2014/02/19/exclusive-inside-story-how-jan-koum-built-whatsapp-into-facebooks-new-19-billion-baby/?src=longreads>
Parmy Olson, Forbes

> Jan Koum picked a meaningful spot to sign the $19 billion deal to sell his company WhatsApp to Facebook earlier today. Koum, cofounder Brian Acton and venture capitalist Jim Goetz of Sequoia drove a few blocks from WhatsApp’s discreet headquarters in Mountain View to a disused white building across the railroad tracks, the former North County Social Services office where Koum, 37, once stood in line to collect food stamps. That’s where the three of them inked the agreement to sell their messaging phenom –which brought in a miniscule $20 million in revenue last year — to the world’s largest social network.

*** Time Travellers: Please Don’t Kill Hitler ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2014/feb/21/time-travellers-kill-adolf-hitler>
Dean Burnett, The Guardian

> In almost any science-fiction scenario involving time-travel, the default action is to kill Hitler. As terrible a human being as he was, there are many reasons why this probably isn’t a good idea.

*** The Powerlessness Of Positive Thinking ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/currency/2014/02/the-powerlessness-of-positive-thinking.html?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email>
Adam Alter, New Yorker