[MyAppleMenu] Feb 16, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 16 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** My Quest To Fix A Broken iPad ***
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26197229>
LJ Rich, BBC

> The guide to how to fix an iPad 2 looked well laid out, but complicated and intricate. It was rated "very difficult".

> But I was determined that that wouldn't deter me.

*** How To Manage Multiple iOS Devices Within A Single Household ***
<http://gigaom.com/2014/02/15/how-to-manage-multiple-ios-devices-within-a-single-household/>
Geoffrey Goetz, GigaOM

> Here are some helpful tips for households faced with managing multiple Apple devices so they can stay on top of their iTunes purchases.

*** Apple Opens Its First Store In Brazil, A Key market ***
<http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-store-brazil-20140215,0,1607383.story?track=rss#axzz2tSSd0QLr>
Chris O'Brien and Vincent Bevins, Los Angeles Times

*** Apple Needs More Cash ***
<http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2014/02/15/apple-needs-more-cash/5494891/>
Evan Niu, The Motley Fool

> For the past several quarters, Apple's domestic cash has been on the decline, in large part due to its aggressive share repurchase activity and dividend payouts, which totaled $7.8 billion last quarter.

*** Apple & Google Begin Rejecting Games With “Flappy” In The Title ***
<http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/15/apple-google-begin-rejecting-games-with-flappy-in-the-title/>
Sarah Perez, TechCrunch

*** Microsoft V Microsoft ***
<http://stratechery.com/2014/microsoft-v-microsoft/>
Ben Thompson, Stratechery

> So to summarize, Office is not available everywhere, and probably won’t be anytime soon, because Microsoft has a devices business to prop up. Oh, and Microsoft’s business needs are a priority over user needs. Tell me, Frank, how is that a safe bet?

*** This Crappy Obituary – For The Woman I Found Dead In The Starbucks Parking Lot ***
<http://legionwriter.com/2014/01/15/this-crappy-obituary-reflections-on-the-woman-i-found-dead-in-the-starbucks-parking-lot/>
Lucas Draeger

> I thought you were sleeping. It seems silly now, but you must understand, when one sees a person slumped over inside a parked car, the most reasonable conclusion is rarely that the person slumped over is dead. It was the lights from the dashboard that caught my eye. If it weren’t for the lights, I would have missed you completely, and – who knows? – you may still be lying out there, unknowing of the legions of addicts drawn to the verifiable Mecca of caffeine. You’d remain oblivious to the following day’s massive local windstorm and the city’s collective anxiety, followed by elation, when our beloved Seahawks won the big game. You might still be slumped awkwardly over your console, and I suppose your car would be run dry of gas by then, but folks would not be any more observant.

*** Author, N. Va. Native Helen Wan On The ‘Bamboo Ceiling’ ***
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/author-n-va-native-helen-wan-on-the-bamboo-ceiling/2014/02/12/89cc0b76-5151-11e3-9e2c-e1d01116fd98_story.html>
Krissah Thompson, Washington Post

> In the annals of American employment discrimination, “quiet” and “hardworking” may not seem like the worst way to be characterized, Wan acknowledges. But such seemingly benign stereotypes, much like the term “model minority,” mask a less benign truth backed by reams of research: Members of the country’s most highly educated racial group are among the least likely to make it to the top in corporate America.

*** The Battle For Mass Transit’s Soul: How Will Tomorrow’s Greatest Cities Travel? ***
<http://www.salon.com/2014/02/15/the_battle_for_mass_transits_soul_how_will_tomorrows_greatest_cities_travel/>
Henry Grabar, Salon

> Urban planners are in the throes of an ideological struggle that could fundamentally change the way cities look.

*** Nightrunning ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/15/nightrunning-tiffany-atkinson>
Tiffany Atkinson, The Guardian

*** The Self-Reflecting Pool ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/opinion/sunday/the-self-reflecting-pool.html?_r=0>
Bonnie Tsui, New York Times

> There’s nothing to look at, once the goggles fog over. Sound? The sloshing of water pretty much cancels out everything else. Taste and smell are largely of the chlorine and salt variety (though, at my old pool, I used to smell burgers cooking from the cafe downstairs). Despite all the tech advances of the last few years, you won’t see many swimmers wearing earphones or bone-conduction music devices: They just don’t work that well.

> We enter the meditative state induced by counting laps, and observe the subtle play of light as the sun moves across the lanes. We sing songs, or make to-do lists, or fantasize about what we’re going to eat for breakfast. Submersion creates the space to be free, to stretch, without having to contend with constant external chatter. It creates internal quiet, too. Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of them all, was found to have A.D.H.D. when he was a child; he has called the pool his “safe haven,” in part because “being in the pool slowed down my mind.”

*** Forever Alone ***
<http://wikichen.is/writing/forever-alone/>
Jonathan E. Chen