[MyAppleMenu] Feb 15, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Feb 15 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Mac Mini Hosting: A Growing Niche For Colo Providers ***
<http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2014/02/14/macminivault-expands-at-phoenix-nap/>
Rich Miller, Data Center Knowledge

*** Can You Keep A Secret, App? ***
<http://www.technologyreview.com/news/524721/can-you-keep-a-secret-app/>
Rachel Metz, Technology Review

> Secret is one of latest entrants to the growing field of anonymous social networking apps, which are getting increasingly popular as more of us seek online outlets where we can be honest about anything without fearing the consequences.

*** Apple's Supplier Responsibility Efforts Garner Praise ***
<http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/14/apples-supplier-responsibility-efforts-garner-prai.aspx>
Daniel Sparks, The Motley Fool

> "Apple has flexed its muscles in the past to push suppliers to remove hazardous substances from products and provide more renewable energy for data centers, and it is proving the same model can work to reduce the use of conflict minerals," Greenpeace Energy Campaigner Tom Dowdall said in a statement.

*** Perspective: Microsoft Hedges On Office For iPad, Cites 'Thoughtful' Decisions ***
<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9246342/Perspective_Microsoft_hedges_on_Office_for_iPad_cites_thoughtful_decisions?utm_source=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+(The+Loop)&utm_content=FeedBurner>
Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

*** The Novelist Is Definitely Worth Spending A Weekend With ***
<http://www.macgasm.net/2014/02/14/novelist-definitely-worth-spending-bucks/>
Michael McConnell, Macgasm

*** Dungeon Highway Is A Brilliant, Bloody Mix Of New And Old ***
<http://www.tuaw.com/2014/02/14/dungeon-highway-is-a-brilliant-bloody-mix-of-new-and-old/?ncid=rss_truncated>
Mike Wehner, TUAW

*** America's First Subways: Boston Loves New York ***
<http://www.economist.com/news/books-and-arts/21596490-what-america-learned-about-building-subways-boston-loves-new-york>
The Economist

> Doug Most’s meticulously researched history reveals that getting the subways built was more a collaborative than a competitive effort. It helped that two brothers from an old, rich and influential family were early proponents of subways. Henry Whitney in Boston and William Whitney in New York suppressed their sibling rivalry to work together to discover and recruit the country’s best engineers for their various transport ventures.

*** Book Review: 'Extreme Medicine' By Kevin Fong ***
<http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303496804579367352415415712>
Laura Landro, Wall Street Journal

> In "Extreme Medicine," physician Kevin Fong reminds us that virtually everything we take for granted in lifesaving medical intervention was once unthinkable. Over the past century, as technology has allowed man to conquer hostile environments and modernize warfare, medical pioneers have been on a parallel journey, confronting what had once been fatal in man's boldest pursuits and making it survivable.

*** This Is Yarrow By Tara Bergin – Review ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/14/this-yarrow-tara-bergin-review>
Sean O'Brien, The Guardian

> It takes a certain decidedness to set aside the furnishings of realism and its overweening stylisation of everyday life in order to hold out for something else. In her debut, <i>This Is Yarrow</i>, the Irish poet Tara Bergin does not so much steer away from the familiar as seem not to have encountered it except as a rumour.

*** Ad Infinitum: ‘Our Mathematical Universe,’ By Max Tegmark ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/books/review/our-mathematical-universe-by-max-tegmark.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Edward Frenkel, New York Times