[MyAppleMenu] Dec 31, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 31 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** The Many Superpowers Of Apple's Preview App: Part 1 ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2863923/the-many-superpowers-of-apples-preview-app-part-1.html#tk.rss_all>
Lesa Snider, Macworld

> Apple’s Preview app, preinstalled on every Mac for years, is one of the most underused programs ever. Far from being an image preview app, as its name implies, you can use it to convert file formats, grab a frame from a movie, learn the size of a web-based image, sort a folder of images, remove backgrounds, and more. In this first installment of a two-part series, you’ll begin to discover the many superpowers of Preview.

*** iPhone 6 Owners Reporting That Cards Cannot Be Added Back Into Apple Pay After A Restore ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/31/apple-pay-glitch/>
Ben Lovejoy, 9 To 5 Mac

> Multiple iPhone 6 owners are reporting in an Apple Support Communities thread that they are unable to add cards back into Apple Pay after their phone has been restored – whether as a new phone or from a backup. According to reports there, Apple has been able to resolve the issue only by replacing the phone.

*** Apple's Latest Mac Pro Continues To Cause Problems For Professional Users ***
<http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/12/30/apples-latest-mac-pro-continues-to-cause-problems-for-professional-users>
Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

> One year after its release, Apple's radically redesigned Mac Pro remains a source of frustration for some video-focused professionals whose workflows are being interrupted by rendering glitches apparently caused by problems with the unit's ATI graphics system.

*** Apple Introduces 14-Day Return On iTunes, Scaring Coders And Musicians ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/30/apple-introduces-14-day-return-on-itunes-scaring-coders-and-musicians>
Alex Hern, The Guardian

> What’s more, while apps on the app store are protected by “digital rights management” (DRM), letting Apple potentially revoke any download which it refunds, music sales are entirely DRM-free, meaning that unscrupulous fans could download the song, request a refund, and keep hold of the song anyway.

*** GoodReader Drops Certain iCloud Drive Functions In Compliance With Apple's Policy ***
<http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/12/goodreader-drops-certain-icloud-drive-functions-in-compliance-with-apples-usage-policy>
Aldrin Calimlim, AppAdvice

*** Managing Mail On The Mac ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/01/technology/personaltech/managing-mail-on-the-mac.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
J. D. Biersdorfer, New York Times

> How do you block and automatically delete messages from a certain sender in the Mail program for Mac OS X?

*** The best iOS party games for New Year's Eve ***
<http://www.imore.com/best-ios-party-games-new-years-eve>
Peter Cohen, iMore

*** Apple Employee Lawsuit Over Time Spent In Security Lines Dismissed After Amazon Ruling ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/30/employee-lawsuit-security-dismissed/>
Mike Beasley, 9 To 5 Mac

> In the Amazon case, the Supreme Court ruled that because Amazon warehouse workers were not employed for the purpose of going through security checks, it was not actually part of the job they were being paid to do. Therefore, the court ruled, the employees could not bill the company for time spent standing in security lines.

*** Fixing Bluetooth Discovery Problems In OS X Yosemite ***
<http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/30/bluetooth-discovery-problem-fix-os-x-yosemite/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+osxdaily+%28OS+X+Daily%29>
OS X Daily

*** ‘Once Upon A Time’ By Marina Warner ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/12/30/book-review-once-upon-time-short-history-fairy-tale-marina-warner/8FpK41RVtgJxQrUe0YP2nL/story.html>
Charles Euchner, The Boston Globe

> In this lively, scholarly work, Warner surveys centuries of fairy tales and academic research about them. She ties these tales to virtually every aspect of culture — mythology, art, music, movies, games, and psychology. We need them, she says, to make sense of the world.

*** The Year In Poems ***
<http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/2014-year-poems?mbid=rss>
Elisabeth Denison, New Yorker