[MyAppleMenu] Dec 30, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 30 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** Why I Drilled Holes In My MacBook Pro And Put It In The Oven ***
<http://ifixit.org/blog/6882/why-i-drilled-holes-in-my-macbook-pro-and-put-it-in-the-oven/>
IFixIt

> Unconventional electronics repair tools they may be, but that’s how I saved my MacBook Pro with a drill and an oven.

*** The Death Of Cocoa ***
<http://nshipster.com/the-death-of-cocoa/>
Mattt Thompson, NSHipster

> Let's take at some specific examples of what Cocoa does, and how a new Swift standard library could improve.

*** Apple Introduces 14-Day No Questions Asked Refunds For App Store & iTunes In EU Countries ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/29/app-store-itunes-refunds-eu/>
Jordan Kahn, 9 To 5 Mac

> The changes appear to be related to a new consumer rights directive in the EU that introduced a required 14 calendar day right of cancellation or return period for both goods and services purchased in EAA countries.

*** Apple To Save Historic Barn On Site Of New Cupertino Campus ***
<http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_27164881/apple-save-historic-barn-site-new-cupertino-campus>
Julia Love, San Jose Mercury News

> Underscoring that Apple Campus 2 is at once one of Silicon Valley's wildest sketches of the future and a portal to its past, the company has set aside a place on its state-of-the-art campus for the Glendenning Barn, named for a pioneer family whose land became a magnet for tech companies after the blooms faded from their orchards. Constructed in 1916 with planks of redwood, the barn was built to last, though its founders couldn't have foreseen all that it would withstand: the decline of local agriculture, the rise of big tech and several changes of the guard in Silicon Valley, not to mention Apple's earth movers.

*** Review: Book On Dying, Useful To The End ***
<http://swtimes.com/features/entertainment/review-book-dying-useful-end>
Terri Schlichenmeyer, Times Record

> For about the last century, the average lifespan for North Americans has increased. Modern medicine taught doctors how to save lives but, until relatively recently, it didn’t teach them how to deal with life’s end.

*** A Kansas Town Rallies For A Modest Lifeline: A Local Grocery Store ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/30/us/a-kansas-town-rallies-for-a-lifeline-in-supermarket-form.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0>
Mitch Smith, New York Times

> Here in southwest Kansas, where small communities have struggled since the Dust Bowl to retain businesses and residents, a town’s viability is measured by what has not yet closed. Losing a post office is considered the kiss of death. Losing a school can be a terminal diagnosis.
> But losing a grocery store, as Plains did in 2001, is a problem that, while not necessarily lethal, is most certainly cause for concern.

*** Disney CEO Bob Iger's Empire Of Tech ***
<http://fortune.com/2014/12/29/disney-ceo-bob-iger-empire-of-tech/>
Michal Lev-Ram, Fortune