[MyAppleMenu] Dec 25, 2014

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Dec 25 18:59:00 EST 2014

*** 15 Essential Games For Your New iPhone ***
<http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/25/15-essential-games-for-your-new-iphone/>
Evan Killham, VentureBeat

*** Hello, New iPhone / iPod Owner! Here Are The Best Accessories To Buy Right Away ***
<http://9to5mac.com/2014/12/25/guide-best-iphone-ipod-accessories/>
Jeremy Horwitz, 9 To 5 Mac

*** Retina 5K iMac: Powerful Proof Of The PC Renaissance ***
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/technology/personaltech/retina-5k-imac-powerful-proof-of-the-pc-renaissance.html?referrer=>
Farhad Manjoo, New York Times

> Enter Apple and the new iMac it unveiled in the fall, an expensive desktop with a beautiful, high-resolution screen. If Chromebooks are cars, the new iMac is the world’s best truck. It’s a device optimized for professionals, not casual users, and it blazes a path forward for the once-beleaguered PC industry.

*** The First 10 Apps To Install On Your Brand-new Mac ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2863616/the-first-10-apps-to-install-on-your-brand-new-mac.html#tk.rss_all>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

> As a nearly 30-year veteran of Mac ownership, I have 10 solid suggestions that will make your life better by shaving off the little irritations that remain in Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite and in Apple’s bundled software. A new Mac user will be happier than otherwise, and a veteran user looking to refresh a system will find the time and effort savings quite rewarding as well.

*** Seven Things To Do With Your New Tablet This Christmas ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/25/seven-things-to-do-with-your-new-tablet-this-christmas>
Samuel Gibbs, The Guardian

> Tablets are a great gift for Christmas – versatile, useful, fun and shiny – but they’re only as good as the things you can do with them.
> Here are a quick few things every new tablet owner should do.

*** Apple Reportedly Declined To Stream Sony's 'The Interview' On iTunes ***
<http://www.imore.com/apple-reportedly-declined-stream-sonys-interview-itunes>
Harish Jonnalagadda, iMore

*** Apple Did Not Update Your Mac Without Your Permission ***
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/apple-did-not-update-your-mac-without-your-permission/>
Kirk McElhearn, Kirkville

> To have “system data files and security updates” installed automatically, a setting in the App Store pane of System Preferences needs to be checked.

*** How To Stay Connected In Unconnected Places ***
<http://www.macworld.com/article/2863438/how-to-stay-connected-in-unconnected-places.html#tk.rss_all>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

> Prepare before you go for the worst-case scenario. There have never been more options for acquiring high-speed Internet access even when a feed isn’t convenient.

*** Mansplanation Nation ***
<http://www.bookforum.com/inprint/021_04/13912?utm_content=bufferbb058&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>
Heather Havrilesky, Bookforum

> How two decades of nonfiction best sellers teem with fake self-assurance—and testosterone.

*** Christmas Day Is Supposed To Be Dull. Enjoy The Novelty Of Utter Boredom ***
<http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/emma-brockes-column/2014/dec/25/christmas-day-boring-dos-and-donts>
Emma Brockes, The Guardian

> The entire point of Christmas is that it’s supposed to be boring; you get an hour of excitement first thing and then the day devolves into an endless cycle of cooking, small talk, snoring relatives, over-heated rooms with no escape and – in England, at least – the Queen’s Speech, an annual lowlight that reminds you of the virtue of every other day of the calendar year when you are not made privy to Her Majesty’s thoughts.

*** The Dark Side Of The Moon ***
<http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrities/201501/buzz-aldrin>
Jeanne Marie Laskas, GQ

> He was a war-hero fighter pilot. He was an MIT rocket scientist. He was a lot of impressive things, and then Buzz Aldrin went to the moon, which is maybe all you know about one of the most famous men on earth—a guy who's been frozen, like a footprint in lunar dust, in America's mind for forty-five years now. But the thing about Buzz is that he still wants way more than the moon.

*** Inside Café Edison's Final Day; Broadway Bids Farewell Over Matzo And Memories ***
<http://www.playbill.com/news/article/inside-caf-edisons-final-day-broadway-bids-farewell-over-matzo-and-memories-337898>
Jena Tesse Fox, Playbill

> From chorus kids to Broadway stars, New Yorkers to tourists, the no-frills diner known for its characteristically brusque New York service and Jewish comfort food was the culinary crossroads of the theatrical world.

*** The True Meaning Of Christmas (That Everyone Forgets) ***
<http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-true-meaning-christmas-that-everyone-forgets/>
David Wong, Cracked

> Let's say we find out an asteroid is going to hit the earth at some point over the next three months. It may kill all of us, it may kill some of us, it may splash harmlessly into the ocean -- but there is no stopping it. All we can do is hunker down and see what happens. How would you react? How would humanity as a whole react? Well, I know how: we would prepare as best we could, and then we would surround ourselves with the people we love most and <i>party our asses off</i>. We would do it, because we would realize it might be our last chance. I know this, because we have Christmas.

*** ‘Skylight’ By José Saramago ***
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2014/12/25/book-review-skylight-jose-saramago/hK9TuCH97z2PfXA7Bcd6OM/story.html>
Nick Romeo, The Boston Globe